Ecology and systematics of fungi
Phone: (707) 826-4841
Office: Science B 123A
Research website: www.tropicalfungi.org
BA (1983) Ohio University
MS (1988) University of Wyoming
PhD (2001) Duke University
- Curriculum Vitae
Summary of research
Mycology is a mainstay of the HSU Botany Program with courses in
mycology, forest pathology, and mushroom identification. My research involves the study of macrofungal biodiversity and ecological relationships in the remote tropical rainforests of South America's Guiana Shield. My lab also examines the overlooked but important roles that native forest pathogenic fungi have in shaping forest communities in northern California.
- Henkel TW,Aime MC, Chin M, Miller SL, Vilgalys R, Smith ME. 2012. Ectomycorrhizal fungal sporocarp diversity and discovery of new taxa in Dicymbe monodominant forests of the Guiana Shield. Biodiversity and Conservation 21: 2195-2220. PDF
- Uehling JK, Henkel TW, Vilgalys R, Smith ME. 2012. Membranomyces species are common ectomycorrhizal symbionts across the Northern Hemisphere. Mycorrhiza doi 10.1007/s00572-012-0457-8 PDF
- Castellano M, Henkel TW, Miller SL, Aime MC. 2012. Two new Elaphomyces species (Elaphomycetaceae, Eurotiales, Ascomycota) from Guyana associated with Caesalpinioideae (Fabaceae, Fabales). Mycologia doi: 10.3852/12-061 PDF
- Matheny PB, Aime MC, Smith ME, Henkel TW. 2012. New species and records for Inocybe (Agaricales) from Guyana. Kurtziana 37: 23-39. PDF
- Henkel TW, Aime MC, *Uehling JK, Smith ME. 2011. New species and distribution records for Clavulina from the Guiana Shield. Mycologia 103: 883-894. PDF
- Hawkins AE, Henkel TW. 2011. Native forest pathogens may facilitate persistence of Douglas-fir in old-growth forests of Northwestern California. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 41: 1256-1266. PDF
- Smith ME, Henkel TW, Aime MC, Fremier AK, Vilgalys R. 2011. Ectomycorrhizal fungal diversity and community structure on three co-occurring leguminous canopy tree species in a Neotropical rainforest. New Phytologist 192: 699-712. PDF
- Henkel TW, Smith ME, Aime MC. 2010. Guyanagaster, a new wood-decaying sequestrate fungal genus related to Armillaria (Physalacriaceae, Agaricales, Basidiomycota). American Journal of Botany 97: 1-12. PDF
Wendell Bedell: Incidence and potential impact of Heterobasidion annosum on redwood stumps in the Northern California Coast Range.
Arthur Grupe II: Systematics and ecology of tropical entomopathogenic fungi.
Nikos Najarian: Heart rot fungi and plant community composition in coniferous forests of northwestern California.
Jordan Mayor (2004-05): Ectomycorrhizal influence on leaf litter decomposition in monodominant tropical forests of Guyana.
Lance Woolley (2005-06): Reiteration in the monodominant tropical tree Dicymbe corymbosa (Caesalpiniaceae) and its potential adaptive significance.
Tara Fulgenzi (2007-09): Systematic studies on Boletaceae (Basidiomycota) of Guyana.
Ashley Hawkins (2007-09): Forest pathogen dynamics in old-growth mixed coniferous forests of the Coast Range, Northern California.
Jessie Uehling (2010-2012) : Systematics and molecular ecology of Cantharellales from the Guiana Shield.