Eureka's chamber of commerce begins an effort to win public support for a normal school. Eureka, Arcata and Fortuna offer proposals for the location of the school.
A donation of 51 acres from William Preston and the Union Water Company ensures Arcata will be the home of Humboldt State Normal School.
California Gov.Hiram Johnson establishes Humboldt State Normal School.
- April 6, 1914
Instruction begins at 11th and M streets in Arcata. Pictured above is one of the first applications to the normal school.
- May 26, 1915
Commencement day for HSU's first graduating class of 15 women. Susie Baker Fountain is first to receive her degree.
Humboldt State Normal School becomes Humboldt State Teachers College and Junior College.
Construction of Founders Hall begins atop Preston Hill.
Humboldt's first president, Nelson Van Matre, retires and is succeeded by Ralph Swetman who serves from 1924 to 1930. Arthur Gist takes over in 1930 and serves until 1949.
Humboldt plays its first intercollegiate football game against Southern Oregon Normal School, losing 33-0.
Another name change gives Humboldt the moniker Humboldt State College.
Humboldt State College establishes bachelor's of science degree in education. Liberal arts degree programs in economics and business administration, speech and home economics are soon to follow.
Forestry Club organizes
President Arthur S. Gist begins writing "Humboldt News Letter" for men and women in the armed services
Founders Hall (known then as the Main Building) is camouflaged with paint and ivy to avoid detection by the Japanese
Students build bleachers for Redwood Bowl
Jenkins Hall, completed
Marching band forms
Registration and grade recording now involves IBM punch cards
Lucky Logger is adopted as mascot
Parking fees established—$13 per semester
Football games are held in Eureka High School's Albee Stadium, as crowds are too big for Redwood Bowl
Forestry Building and Library are completed
Ronald Reagan visits campus during his campaign for governor.
Marine laboratory opens in Trinidad. Lab is renamed the Telonicher Marine Lab in 1979.
Students protest U.S. incursion into Cambodia.
Inaugural Humboldt Film Festival is held. Currently, it’s the longest running student-lead festival of its kind.
Marching Lumberjacks return as campus scatter band after a 10-year absence.
Humboldt State College renamed California State University, Humboldt. This doesn’t last long. By 1974 the school is known as Humboldt State University.
Arsonists set fire to Forestry Building, which reopens in 1980.
Aviary completed for Wildlife Department.
Wells Fargo donates it’s former building, which then becomes home to HSU Natural History Museum.