Skip to ContentSkip to Secondary Navigation
The College Experience
Helping Your Child Cope With Crises and/or Mental Health Issues
Resources for Parents of Individuals with Alcohol or Other Drug Issues
Resources for Parents of Individuals with Disordered Eating
- Costin, Carolyn. Your Dieting Daughter: Antidotes Parents can Provide for Body Dissatisfaction, Excessive Dieting, and Disordered Eating, Routledge, 2013
- Natenshon, Abigail H. When Your Child Has an Eating Disorder: A Step-by-Step Workbook for Parents and Other Caregivers, Jossey-Bass, 1999
- Parent Toolkit from National Eating Disorder Association: understand more about how to support a family member or friend affected by an eating disorder
- NationalEatingDisorders.org: offers many useful resources for parents on the topic of Eating Disorders, including a Parent, Family & Friends Network, with free webinars and support programs and a "Making Connections Magazine"
Resources for Parents of Individuals with Mood Disorders
Resources for Parents of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, & Questioning Individuals
- Brill, Stephanie and Pepper, Rachel. The Transgender Child: A Handbook for Families and Professionals. Cleis Press; 2008.
- Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere: COLAGE; organization providing information and advocacy for children of an LGBTQ parent
- Family Equality Council: organization supporting LGBTQ parents and families
- Jennings, Kevin & Shapiro, Pat. Always My Child: A Parent's Guide to Understanding Your Gay, Lesbian, Transgendered, or Questioning Son or Daughter. Touchstone; 2003
- Parents, Family, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays: PFLAG-- organization supports LGBTQ individuals and their families
- Parks, Anita. OMG My Son is Gay... Amazon Digital Services; 2012. This is a short read at only 62 pages.
- Proud Parenting: general interest site for LGBTQ parents
- My princess boy: Acceptance of the male image: Cheryl Kilodavis. A mother's story of learning to accept her son's differences (video)
Resources for Parents of Individuals with Psychosis / Schizophrenia
- Kaye, Randye. Ben Behind His Voices: One Family's Journey from the Chaos of Schizophrenia to Hope. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers; 2011
- Muesser, Kim and Gigerich, Susan. The Complete Family Guide to Schizophrenia: Helping Your Loved One Get the Most Out of Life. Guilford Press; 2006.
- Saks, Elyn R. The Center Cannot Hold. Hyperiod, Reprint edition; 2007. This is a fascinating first-hand account of Sak's experience of psychosis. Inspiring, but a heavy read.
- Torrey, E. Fuller. Surviving Schizophrenia: A Manual for Families, Patients, and Providers. HarperCollins; 5th edition; 2006.
- Williams, Paris. Rethinking Madness: Towards a Paradigm Shift in Our Understanding and Treatment of Psychosis. Sky's Edge Publishing; 2012.
Resources to Help with Family-Related Issues
Return to Top
Skip to Navigation