Welcome to the Center for Service Learning & Academic Internships
Our mission is to promote reciprocal connections among students, faculty, and community members through integrated academic coursework and service in the community, and to encourage the development of socially and environmentally responsible citizens. The HSU Center for Service Learning & Academic Internships works to realize this mission through thoughtful collaboration and partnership-building with community organizations and the university. Hand in hand, we help create opportunities for shared learning and growth for students, faculty, and community partners participating in the applied learning process.
The Center for Service Learning & Academic Internships (CSLAI) is the hub of support for Service Learning and Academic Internship experiences at Humboldt State University, providing resources and support to faculty, community partners and students engaging in purposeful, credit-bearing educational opportunities that serve the community.
The CSLAI supports campus-wide community Service Learning and Academic Internship experiences tied into curriculum at Humboldt State by: a) assisting faculty in identifying and/or developing their Service Learning courses; b) identifying appropriate placement sites for the experiential component of both Service Learning and Academic Internship courses; and by c) helping community partners (non-profits, public/government agencies, businesses) connect with appropriate academic departments and faculty.
One resource the CSLAI will soon be offering is a web-based database called Supporting Students & Service Sites – “S4,” which will contain information on hundreds of community organizations (including some HSU programs) with sites that are “approved” (Learning Site Agreement – LSA paperwork established) for community service placements. Until S4 is up and running online (Spring 2015), a list of “LSA- approved Sites” can be accessed by faculty on each college pagelet of the faculty portal or by contacting the CSLAI at 826-4963.
Service Learning / Academic Internships (SLAI) Advisory Committee
The Service Learning / Academic Internships (SLAI) Advisory Committee supports the work of the Center for Service Learning and Academic Internships’ three programs: the SLAI Faculty Development program, the Student Intern Leadership Development program, and the Community Partnership program. The Center for Service Learning/Academic Internships is charged with recommending and coordinating the implementation of HSU campus and CSU system-wide policies and procedures regarding academic service learning courses and academic internship courses. In order to effectively accomplish these broad goals, input from a variety of campus and community constituents is necessary.
SLAI Advisory Committee Members 2013-14: Back Row (left to right): Jimmy Barnett, Service Learning Intern; Anne Holcomb, Executive Director, Food for People; Denise Vanden Bos, HSU-College of Professional Studies Director of Project Development; Jená Burges, HSU Vice Provost; Kathy Thornhill, Director of Undergraduate Advising, Career Services, & Service Learning/Academic Internships.
Front Row: Taylor Shughart, Service Learning Intern; Laurie Pinkert, HSU English Asst. Professor and College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences faculty representative; Susan Seaman, Project Director, Arcata Economic Development Corp.; Annie Bolick-Floss, Director, Center for Service Learning & Academic Internships; Stacy Becker, Community Partner Coordinator, Center for Service Learning & Academic Internships.
Not pictured: Rick Zechman, HSU Associate Dean, College of Natural Resources and Sciences; Sheri Johnson, Director, HSU Social Work Field Education; Dawn Elsbree, HSU School of Business Internship Coordinator.
The following are goals of the Center for Service Learning & Academic Internships, as we seek to support “high impact learning practices” for students and promote community engagement in all of its forms by working with all of your stakeholder groups:
- Institutionalize community engagement on campus, both through formal initiatives and informal practices.
- Expand the number and range of opportunities for involvement in high impact practices and community engagement at HSU.
- Promote awareness and understanding of high-impact practices and models for community engagement.
- Cultivate mutually beneficial and long-term partnerships between campus and community partners.
President's Honor Roll
Humboldt State University has been a recipient of the National President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in the past 7 out of 8 years: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2013. HSU is honored to receive this award which “annually highlights the role colleges and universities play in solving community problems and placing more students on a lifelong path of civic engagement byrecognizing institutions that achieve meaningful, measureable outcomes in the communities they serve.”
HSU highlights each year focus on the accomplishments of students in Service Learning and Academic Internship courses from the HSU College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences, College of Natural Resources & Sciences, and College of Professional Studies; accomplishments by Center for Service Learning & Academic Internship Interns, Youth Educational Services - Y.E.S. volunteers, HSU Clubs and their members, the HSU Office of Sustainability Student Leaders, etc.
More information on the President’s Honor Roll is available at: http://www.nationalservice.gov/special-initiatives/honor-roll
- 21st Annual Day of Caring!! - Sat. 9/20/14 Join hundreds of students to make a difference in a day of service to dozens of local agencies! Meet new friends and learn about community resources! Please sign up on the Quad daily 11am-2pm, 8/25-9/17—Look for the Day of Caring table! The Day of Caring Kickoff for students is on the Art Quad at 8am, Sat. 9/20. Service at community sites takes place 9am to Noon. Many sites will be within walking distance; buses will be provided for sites farther away. For more information, please contact the Center for Service Learning & Academic Internships, 826-4964, or visit our Day of Caring sign up table on the Quad.
- The HSU Agency / Volunteer Fair, hosted by the HSU Center for Service Learning & Academic Internships (CSLAI), will take place on the Quad Wednesday, 9/3 from 10am to 2pm. Dozens of local community based organizations table on the quad to share information on their services and volunteer opportunities for HSU Students. Faculty can also make connections to develop Service Learning and Academic Intern partnerships. Please contact Stacy Becker at the CSLAI, 826-4963 email@example.com for more information. The Associated Students Barbeque happens concurrently and begins at noon, so please join us for a lunch and plenty of information on how to get involved and make a difference in the community!