Faculty Diversity Development Grants
Fall 2013 Applications Due:
October 31, 2013 (5pm)
The HSU Faculty Diversity Development Grants are designed to help support HSU’s goal of creating a more inclusive and diverse campus community. The work outlined in proposals must be completed by the end of the Fall 2014 semester. Activities funded by these grants are proposals that:
I. Foster diversity and inclusion across the curriculum: Proposals may focus either on pedagogical reforms aimed towards better meeting the needs of students from diverse backgrounds, or subject content reforms to better incorporate diverse perspectives into the curriculum. Proposals in this category must include plans for assessment and evaluation of student learning outcomes.
II. Enhance retention of under-represented faculty:
Proposals may include assisting specific faculty members in meeting the qualifications for retention, tenure or promotion, and increasing the possibility of being considered positively for each personnel action or for career advancement.
III. Focus on scholarship related to diversity: Proposals may include research or creative projects focused on diversity issues in higher education and/or diversity as it is relevant to the applicant’s particular academic discipline. Proposals in this category must include plans for presenting the funded project to the campus community.
Who can apply
All tenure-track or tenured HSU faculty are eligible for this grant. Probationary or tenured faculty at the Assistant Professor or Associate Professor ranks, and Counselors and Librarians at equivalent ranks, are especially encouraged to apply for support under this program. Lecturers are not eligible.
Categories of funding
Funding to support the activities outlined above may be used for:
- Release-time for Spring Semester 2014 or Fall Semester 2014: Release time from teaching assignments may be requested for the purpose of achieving one or more of the following objectives (release time is funded at the vacant rate of $1,657 per WTU, with benefits paid at 32%. If approved for funding, release time requests must be approved and signed by your department chair and dean prior to finalizing the grant award):
a) To expand area of expertise of the faculty member, thereby creating greater capacity in the department for addressing issues of inclusive excellence.
b) To design and/or implement subject content and/or pedagogical reforms that support diversity and inclusion in specific courses.
c) To undertake or complete research and publication projects, or advanced study, that could ultimately assist the faculty member in achieving tenure or promotion.
d) To undertake research or creative projects as described in point III, above.
- Travel necessary to support any of the three objectives above. Travel to conferences or professional meetings will not be considered, unless such travel specifically supports the objectives described above.
- Cost of materials for research or creative projects, and for publication or workshop costs.
Applications for Faculty Diversity Development Grants must:
- Submit an online application, available at http://humboldt.edu/forms/node/252
- Attach to the online application a description of the project, which should address how the project meets the criteria outlined above and how it would benefit HSU (maximum 2 pages).
- A brief timeline of activities.
- A budget outlining estimated costs.
- The applicant’s abbreviated CV (5 pages maximum).
- Applications that include travel costs must specifically state how the proposed travel supports one or more of the three grant objectives outlined above.
Approximately $12,000 per year is available for these grants. Screening and recommendations will be made by the Faculty Diversity Development Committee, chaired by the Director of Diversity and Inclusion.
Award recipients must submit a brief report on the use of their award to the Office of Diversity and Inclusion prior to the close of the Fall 2014 semester.
For questions about the grant or about the application process, please contact the Office of Diversity and Inclusion at 826.4503 or by email at email@example.com