Humboldt State University

Placement Information

At Humboldt State University, every student must take a first-year English writing course that meets the mandatory written-communication category of the General Education requirements.  Multiple options exist for completing this requirement (see course outlines below).* Directed Self-Placement (DSP) is the process by which students choose an appropriate option. For more information about the DSP process, check out our Directed Self-Placement FAQs page.

Before registering for your written communication course, you should:

  1. Acquaint yourself with the English 102, 103, and 104 course offerings on our Courses Offered page.
  2. Take the Directed Self-Placement Survey

After completing the DSP Survey, register for your selected course by logging into myHumboldt and following the steps for registration.

*Information about exemption from EPT and written-communication requirements can be found in the following section of the HSU Catalog: Admission Information: “Placement/Proficiency Tests.” Please note that, although students may take an additional English Placement Test (EPT), this does not substitute for the DSP survey.