Institutional Review Board
Registering Your Proposal
For those who need to register their human subjects research activities for Grant submissions or research that already has an Exempt designation from an outside institution, please use the following Registration form.
Submitting Your Proposal
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) requires submission of the following documents for each new study involving human subjects:
Follow the instructions on the Application for Review for the NEW electronic submittal process. CAUTION: Be sure to save your application to your desktop BEFORE filling it out, and only enter data into the desktop copy. We advise using Internet Explorer and the most current version of adobe acrobat in a PC format. You cannot save your work with Adobe Reader. You cannot successfully complete this application on an Apple computer. Applications that are not readable will be returned.
- Expedited and Full Board proposals require submission of the IRB Consent Checklist.
- Student PI's - submit your application to your advisor for approval
- Advisor - once a student's application is approved, you can scroll below to submit
- You should receive a confirmation email after submission of your application. If you do not, please contact the IRB at 826-5165.
Modifying Your Proposal
NOTE: changes to personnel or procedures must be approved by IRB before they are implemented.
New personnel may be added to approved projects by emailing CITI completion certificates and the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: IRB project number and title; name, email address, qualifications and responsibilities of personnel; and type of personnel (e.g., staff, student or faculty).
Modifications to research procedures should be described in a brief paragraph and submitted to email@example.com. Include the IRB project number and title in the email, and attach any necessary supporting documents, such as new survey question.
The Review Timeline
The IRB believes that researchers are entitled to timely review of research proposals:
Proposals submitted during the Academic Year
- The IRB’s goal is to contact researchers regarding the status of their application within approximately 10 working days (Green days on the HSU Green & Gold Calendar).
- Unfortunately due to the work load at certain times, the IRB cannot guarantee any time frame.
- Please allow ample time for review, possible modifications and final determination for your proposal prior to your projected start date.
Proposals submitted during the Summer
- Typically Committee members have been willing to volunteer their time over the summer in order for the IRB to continue to review Exempt and Expedited proposals.
- No expectations of review time are associated with proposals submitted during the summer.
View the Schedule for Full Board Review here.