Institutional Review Board
Registering Your Proposal
For those who need to register their human subjects research activities for Grant submissions or research that already has an Exempt designation from an outside institution, please use the following Registration form.
Submitting Your Proposal
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) requires submission of the following documents for each new study involving human subjects:
Follow the instructions on the Application for Review for the new electronic submittal process. CAUTION: Be sure to save your application to your desktop BEFORE filling it out, and only enter data into the desktop copy. You should be able to complete the application using either Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat from Adobe.com. A web browser PDF viewer will not allow you to save your work and submit it correctly. Be sure to use the Save Icon rather than the drop-down menu when saving your application to your desktop. Applications that are not readable will be returned.
Whenever an informed consent or information sheet is used to provide information to study participants, all relevant information from the IRB Consent Checklist should be included.
- Student PI's - submit your application to your advisor for approval
- Advisor - once a student's application is approved, you can scroll below to submit
- You should receive a confirmation email after submission of your application. If you do not, please contact the IRB at 826-5165.
Please be aware that the computer system will not forward to the IRB a submission of an application plus attachments when the total size is greater than 10 MB. Please break your attachments into multiple submissions if you face this limit. You will not be notified if you have exceeded the size limit, and there is no way for the IRB to know that your submission has not reached us.
Modifying Your Proposal
NOTE: changes to personnel or procedures must be approved by IRB before they are implemented.
New personnel may be added to approved projects by emailing CITI completion certificates and the following information to email@example.com: IRB project number and title; name, email address, qualifications and responsibilities of personnel; and type of personnel (e.g., staff, student or faculty).
Modifications to research procedures should be described in a brief paragraph and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the IRB project number and title in the email, and attach any necessary supporting documents, such as new survey question.
The Review Timeline
The IRB believes that researchers are entitled to timely review of research proposals:
Proposals submitted during the Academic Year
- The IRB’s goal is to contact researchers regarding the status of their application within approximately 10 working days (Green days on the HSU Green & Gold Calendar).
- Unfortunately due to the work load at certain times, the IRB cannot guarantee any time frame.
- Please allow ample time for review, possible modifications and final determination for your proposal prior to your projected start date.
Proposals submitted during the Summer
- Typically Committee members have been willing to volunteer their time over the summer in order for the IRB to continue to review Exempt and Expedited proposals.
- No expectations of review time are associated with proposals submitted during the summer.
View the Schedule for Full Board Review here.