Humboldt State University Sponsored Programs Foundation Pre-Award Services
Applying for a Grant
When you are interested in obtaining grant funding, SPF is available to assist you at each step along the way. If you are looking for funding sources, please see our resources for finding funding.
Once you have identified where you plan to apply, please inform us by contacting our Pre-Award office so that we can begin helping you with your proposal submission. Grant writing and editing assistance is also available.
After having a conversation with your Chair and Dean, the following is a step-by-step timeline you should initiate at a minimum one month preceding the proposal due date. Click here to view!
|Kristen Luke||Pre-Award Specialist||826-5166||kristen.luke|
|Tricia Gill||Pre-Award Specialist||826-5203||tricia.gill|
The SPF Principal Investigators and Project Directors Policy identifies those individuals who are eligible to serve as Principal Investigators (PIs), Co-Principal Investigators (Co-PI’s), and Project Directors (PDs).
Forms listed here are specific to the grant award process.
- Institutional Routing and Authorization Form (PDF)
- The formal proposal outlining your application for funding your project. The routing form must be completed and submitted to SPF prior to submitting a proposal to a funding agency.
- Internal Budget Template (Excel) This form is to be completed as part of the Institutional Routing form.
- Modification Routing and Authorization Form (PDF) This form is to be used for:
- Modifications to existing awards if you are requesting a revision to your budget, a change scope of work or change in key personnel such as the Principal Investigator
- No-Cost Extensions not involving faculty release time or any other changes will not require a Modification Routing to be submitted. For more information contact your Grant Analyst
- Pre-Proposals that do not require a budget
- Trust Account Agreement for Establishment or Continuation (DOC
- Independent Contractor Agreement
HSU recognizes the obligation of individuals and the institution to ensure that instances of conflict of interest do not improperly affect university activities, including those conducted through auxiliary organizations. Therefore, through the policies and procedures set forth herein, HSU SPF intends to identify and address potential conflicts of interest that may arise among campus personnel proposing or engaging in externally funded activities.
SPF Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) Policy The intention of the policy set forth below is to establish a uniform policy which covers state and federal laws and regulations currently in place and those anticipated and to provide the public with accountability in the institution's dealings with external organizations.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure Form (Form 700 U) (PDF) The Conflict of Interest Disclosure is mandatory for all grant awards. This CSU-mandated form must be completed prior to the grant award, as well as when the grant award ends.
Conflict of Interest template form for PHS NSF and other Federal Funders In accordance with Humboldt State University Sponsored Programs Foundation policy on Conflict of Interest, the Principal Investigator and all other investigators must disclose their personal significant financial interests (and those of their spouse/registered domestic partner and/or dependent children) related to their institutional responsibilities.
Responsible Conduct of Research Program
The CITI Program is a subscription service providing research ethics education to all members of our on campus research community. Selecting this link will allow you and your students to take any responsible research training course at no charge to your department. Once you have selected the link you will need to select new registration. Click here to register.
Data Management Plan
In general, all research proposals expected to generate significant data should include a data management plan. For more information Click Here.
- Humboldt Digital Scholar - Data management plan page to store NSF Data
North Coast Baseline Monitoring Proposals
For more information Click Here.