QuickLinks

Data Warehouse Leadership Team

Get Help

Online: Request Help
Phone: (707) 826-HELP (4357)
Email: help@humboldt [dot] edu
In Person: Library 120 • Hours
Reset HSU Password
System Status

Services For

Data Warehouse Leadership Team :: Meeting Notes and Handouts, September 6, 2013

Printer-friendly versionSend to friendPDF version

 Attendees

Leadership Team Member Representing In Attendance
Joyce Lopes Vice President, Administrative Affairs X
Volga Koval Academic Affairs Data Expert  
Dale Sanford Student Affairs Data Expert X
Amber Blakeslee Administrative Affairs Data Expert X
Sandra Joubert-Amiel University Advancement Data Expert  
Denise Giltzow Human Resources X
Melissa Koval Academic Personnel Services  
Jacqueline Honda Institutional Research X
Anna Kircher Chief Information Officer  
Staff to the Leadership Team Representing  
Ronda Stemach Systems Analyst, Enterprise Data Management X
Ward Headstrom Systems Analyst, Institutional Research  
Bethany Rizzardi Director, Information Systems X
Additional Participants Representing  
Teal Sexton University Budget Office X
John Filce Institutional Research X
Phil Rouse Process Improvement X
Travis Williams Advancement X

 

Agenda Topics and Meeting Summary

1. Team Progress Review & Next Steps:

Subgroup A: Define what data is available and not; what data is connected and what we’d like to connect.

  • There has been significant team contribution to the Datadev website inventory since the previous DWLT meeting.
  • Subgroup A assessed the functionality of the Datadev site from the users’ perspective, and determined that the site may benefit from some changes, including utilizing data categories instead of tags, improving navigational features, creating additional informational links and explanatory text.
  • The group discussed public vs. private data, whether/how best to implement password protection for restricted data sets, and how this may tie into the Portal.
  • The group discussed the possibility of adding functionality to the website to allow site developers to assess data request trends. Trend data may be kept for internal assessment or displayed publically.
  • Prior to the next DWLT meeting, Subgroup A will work to refine categories and to develop guidelines for Datadev site ‘clean up.’

Subgroup B: Address process for asking/vetting, prioritizing, and providing informational tools.

  • The DWLT has been communicating via e-mail to refine definitions and roles, and to establish group membership for subject area roles. Areas should create Google Group mailing lists for roles. Titles developed for Datadev must be in sync with mailing list groups.
  • Dale Sanford continues to make progress on developing the data request form. The DWLT is invited to e-mail Dale directly with requests to change/edit any subject area form fields.
  • Bethany Rizzardi and Dale Sanford will configure KBOX to create a new ticket for each data request.
  • A third Subgroup (Amber Blakeslee, Denise Giltzow, Gay Hylton, Melissa Koval, Ronda Stemach) is working to define employee counts for reporting purposes.

2. Communication Planning:

The group discussed possible communication methods, including:

  • Joint communications to campus about current projects and progress.
  • Campus announcements when each new item is available.
  • Tying communications into existing meeting structures. 
  • Displaying links on subject area websites.
  • Developing a ‘pagelet’ for the myHumboldt portal.
  • Encouraging campus feedback.
  • Bethany Rizzardi suggested the ITS Project Office ‘Communication Plan Template’ as a starting point for assessing communication options, and for determining which communication methods are appropriate for different audience types.

Joyce Lopes, Phil Rouse, Amber Blakeslee, and Teal Sexton will begin drafting a communication template.

3. Next Meeting:

The next meeting is scheduled for Friday, September 20th, 9:00-10:00am in NHE 116. 

Next Agenda:

  • Subgroup A will report on website inventory progress, including category refinement, and guidelines for cleaning up the contributed data.
  • Subgroup B will report on form development progress.
  • The committee will discuss plans for a communication template.  
feedback