Kinesiology: Master of Science
The Master of Science degree in Kinesiology is a thesis and publication program. The blend of accessible and involved faculty, practical and hands-on learning, plus a new state of the art facility will prepare the individual to succeed in a variety of rewarding careers. The Master of Science Degree in Kinesiology at Humboldt State offers a range of courses in: Exercise Science, Health Promotion, Biomechanics, Physical Education Teaching/Coaching, Sport & Exercise Psychology, and Exercise Physiology.
Quality Features of Our Unique Program
- Small student to faculty ratios that permit individualized attention and collaborative learning.
- The program plan allows students to choose electives, in addition to the required core courses, which helps prepare them for future careers and certifications (e.g., professional certification through American College of Sports Medicine and National Strength and Conditioning Association); options include advanced coursework in Kinesiology sub-disciplines and special topic seminars in areas/specializations of interest.
- Graduate and Teaching Assistantship opportunities.
- Recognized faculty actively engaged in scholarship and application.
- Coursework and research experience which prepares students for advanced degree programs (e.g., Ph.D., DPT).
Exciting, Hands-on Approach
- Development of skills in analyzing, interpreting, and applying research and theory to sport and health.
- Hands-on active learning experiences working with persons from across the age, health, and performance spectrum.
- Service opportunities including engagement in sport/coaching, athletic testing, clinical and community field experiences.
“My experience as a graduate student in Kinesiology at HSU was very rewarding. The small class sizes and dedicated faculty provided for an incredible learning environment, creating a program that inspires it’s students to learn and grow.”
-Heather Van Mullem, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Lewis-Clark State College
Our department has the newest Kinesiology facilities and laboratories in the California State University System to answer research questions related to health and human performance, and provide clinical services to the community. Here, you can:
- use latest 3-D digital motion capture, Dartfish video motion capture, force platforms (portable or imbedded), and 16 channel telemetered EMG to analyze the biomechanics and neurological control of movement.
- measure O2 consumption, body composition (bio-impedance analysis, underwater weighing, and air-displacement plethsmography), blood lactate, ambulatory blood pressure, heart-rate ariability, anaerobic power ...along with other physiologic parameters to analyze the physiology of exercise and sports performance.
- Graduate, Teaching, and Athletics Assistantships are one source of financial support in addition to the federal and state financial aid programs. For additional information and an application, please visit:
- General Financial Aid information
How can we help you get started?
Download the following documents:
- Letter for Prospective Masters Candidates
- Master of Science in Kinesiology Course Requirements
- Master of Science Application check list
- Application for Teaching Associate Position
To request additional information about the Master of Kinesiology Program:
HSU Department of Kinesiology Master’s Program:
To apply to our Masters Program please click here.
CSU Mentor - Kinesiology Masters Program
Academic Programs Graduate Studies