Humboldt State University

Skip to secondary navigation
Skip to content

Learning Center

Academic Probation

Frequently Asked Questions


What is Academic Probation?
Students are placed on Academic Probation if their GPA falls below a 2.0 (either their overall GPA or HSU GPA). The purpose of Academic Probation is to alert you that you are in danger of being disqualified from the university.

Why do I have a hold?
An Academic Probation (AP) hold is placed on your account to let you know that you must take specific immediate action to prevent academic disqualification. It is also a means to ensure that you are aware of the campus resources available to assist you in being academically successful. You will have an AP hold on your account if your cumulative or overall GPA is less than 2.0.

What do I need to do if I am on Academic Probation?
If you have an AP hold, you will need to complete an online academic probation tutorial. Even if your class schedule is already set for the semester, you'll benefit from completing the tutorial as soon as possible. The tutorial will provide an explanation of the university's academic guidelines and offer concrete course scheduling strategies for this semester. During the tutorial you will also learn more about campus resources and services so that you can get back in good standing as soon as possible. The purpose of the tutorial is to make pertinent information easily accessible to you, thereby allowing you to make well informed decisions concerning your academic career.

After completing the tutorial, your major advisor will be sent an email informing him or her about your academic standing, the courses you intend on taking, and other information that you provided. We strongly recommend that you make an appointment with your advisor to review your class schedule and outline strategies to ensure a successful semester. We also recommend that you meet with a staff member from the Learning Center early in the semester to help you achieve the goals that you set for yourself.

How long will the Online AP Tutorial take?
The online tutorial will take approximately 20-30 minutes.

How long will it take for my hold to be released once I complete the online tutorial?
Your AP hold will be released by the end of the next business day.

What do I do if I completed the tutorial but I still can't make changes to my registration?
If it has been a full business day and you still can't make changes to your schedule, check to see if you have any other holds preventing you from making changes. Other holds that can prevent you from changing your registration are the Advising Hold and the Cashier's Financial Hold. If you have no other registration holds, contact the Learning Center as soon as possible.

Have I been dropped from my classes due to the AP hold?
No, your schedule is exactly as it was before the hold was placed. The AP hold only prevents you from making changes to your current class schedule. We advise you to take steps to release your hold early since you may need to make unexpected changes.

When do I need to complete the AP tutorial?
Most academic strategies that lead to good academic standing require you to make changes to your class schedule or require planning by the first week of classes. The AP tutorial will help you learn effective strategies to get you back into good standing. If you wait until the end of the semester it may be too late, and you may be disqualified.

I want to withdraw from HSU this semester--How can I withdraw if I have a hold?
If you wish to withdraw from the semester (and it is not past the withdrawal deadline), you can either fill out the Withdrawal Form in the Registrar's Office or scan/fax/mail a signed letter stating that you wish to withdraw. The AP hold does not prevent you from withdrawing from the semester. You can contact the Office of the Registrar to notify them in the following ways:
Fax: 707-826-6194
Address: Humboldt State University, Office of the Registrar, 1 Harpst Street, Arcata, CA 95521

What is Academic Disqualification?
Academic disqualification occurs when the GPA of a student who is already on probation falls below the minimum level allowed. When disqualified, a student is no longer enrolled at the university and he/she is placed on a one-year suspension. A disqualified student needs to be officially "reinstated" in order to return to the university. A disqualified student can contact the Office of the Registrar or the Learning Center to discuss guidelines for petitioning for reinstatement.

What are the GPA levels that result in academic disqualification?
The current guidelines for Academic Probation and Disqualification are available here.

How do I calculate my GPA?
The Learning Center's GPA calculator can help you calculate your semester GPA, HSU GPA, and Overall GPA. You will need your academic transcript to calculate cumulative GPAs such as HSU and Overall.

How can the Learning Center help me?
* You can meet with Learning Center staff to learn study strategies for specific courses.
* You can get free small group tutoring at the Tutorial Lab for help with difficult, high-demand courses.
* By enrolling in Supplemental Instruction when taking gateway science classes, you will learn course-specific strategies to help you in the sciences.
* You can make an appointment with a peer consultant in the Writing Center, Library 32, for writing assistance in any class.
* You can drop in for free math tutoring at the Math Tutoring Lab, Library 208.
* Our Study Skills Links page is great way to learn more about effective ways to learn.
* For time management tips, review our helpful handouts and strategies online.

What are some strategies for academic success?
* Consider limiting your course load to 12-13 academic units while on academic probation.
* Balance major classes with GE & elective classes.
* Exercise the 2:1 ratio for studying. Study two hours for every one hour that you are in class. Science and math students should expect to study three hours for every hour in class.
* Meet with professors during their office hours.
* Have regular contact with your advisor.
* Add academic and class deadlines in your planner, calendar or electronic device.
* Participate in weekly study groups.
* Contact the Office of the Registrar regarding academic information.
* Seek advice about repeating courses at the Learning Center, the Advising Center or at the Office of the Registrar.

Learning Center • Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA 95521 • 707.826.4266 • Contact Us.