Programs ended early this year in preparation for the museum's move. Programs will resume in the Fall in our new location. Schools groups are encouraged to visit the museum on their own there is a lot to be learned from the exhibits. To schedule a visit contact the front desk at (707) 826-4480.
All school visits take place at the museum. Museum visits occur Tuesday and Thursdays between the hours of 10:00am-1:00pm unless other times need to be arranged. Museum programs are 1.5 hours in length. Cost is $1.00 per student. Programs are designed for single classes (30 students). A teacher and one additional adult must accompany each class (2 adults per 30 students).
HOW TO REQUEST YOUR PROGRAM
1. Requests for visits will be filled on a first-come, first serve basis. It is suggested to schedule school visits to the museum a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the visit date. Fees will be collected the day of the visit to the museum.
2. Email your request for a school visit to the museum to Julie Van Sickle or deliver in person to the museum.
3. The request should include
Number of students
Number of adults
Contact address, email and phone
1st choice & 2nd choice date for visit to the museum along with times.
Please include what you would like your class to gain from this experience.
Any special needs or accommodations the museum staff should know.
- An email will be sent out to confirm receiving the request form.
- One week before scheduled visit to the museum, museum staff will call to confirm. Please email or call if visit to the museum needs to be cancelled.
- Please feel free to contact Jennifer Ortega, Coordinator for Education Programs at the HSU Natural History Museum with questions or concerns at (707) 826-4470
More: resources for educators to use with their classrooms before and after your visit.
Visit the Exhibits page for downloadable resources
- Explore a Virtual Redwood Forest (HCOE)
- Redwood Forest Websearch (Fortuna Middle School)
- Save the Redwoods Educator Resources
- Redwood Resources for Educators (Michael Kauffmann)
- List of Outdoor Education Centers in the Redwoods
Geologic Time Resources
- National Geographic Prehistoric Time Line
- Geologic Time (PPPST.com)
- 6th Grade Geologic Time Resources (Fortuna Middle School)
Any suggestions for additional resources? Send them to the webmaster