Humboldt Online Orientation Program (HOOP)
- required. Two HOOP-related holds are placed on your Student Center account that will prevent you from registering for classes at HSU.
- virtual, off-campus, available 24 hours a day once opened until your published HOOP end date.
- supported via phone and email support. If you encounter any difficulties, please contact us by one of these methods. Exceptions to the process are not made for students who arrive on our physical campus. We can best assist you when you are in front of a computer and have your HSU login information handy.
- designed for and only open to incoming transfer students.
- a couple of hours in length.
- by reservation only! To reserve your spot, you *MUST* sign-up in Student Center before Friday, July 12, 2013. For transfers who have all final transcripts in, you may sign-up for HOOP starting on Monday, February 25, 2013.
- a multi-step process. Advising and Registering for classes are part of the process. You will not receive advising or register for a class prior to completing HOOP. There is no exception for students who choose to come to our physical campus at any point in the process.
- going to prepare you for HSU with an overview of academic requirements & regulations and campus resources
- paid for through your Student Center as part of your HSU tuition and fees. Regularly check for any outstanding balances at HSU. Your tuition balance will post immediately upon registration of classes.
- There are 3 HOOP sessions offered in the summer. Participation in a session is dependent on the date that you sign-up for HOOP and the date that your required test scores and/or official transcripts are processed.
- Once you complete all of the HOOP steps within the session window, you may register for your HSU classes. New students to HSU register after all currently-enrolled students. Class registration will begin for most students at least 48 hours after completing the first HOOP step. Registration access is not instantaneous.
- There are a few steps involved in the HOOP process. We explain them below.
- Important dates at-a-glance:
HOOP Sign-Up Date
only via Student Center "orientation" link
HOOP Session Start Date
Sessions start at 9:00am
HOOP Session End** Date
Sessions end at 5:00pm
Priority* Session: May 1
Condensed Session: June 3
Standard Session: July 12
*Priority session students will be able to register prior to new first-time freshmen if sign-up is completed by May 1st and HOOP and advising are completed by May 30. If the May 1st deadline is missed, students will register after first-time freshmen register in June. ** End date means that you must complete the online HOOP course and survey as well as your online major advising during the session. Students who fail to complete all steps before the session end date will not be able to register for classes until the next session opens.
You must reserve your space in a HOOP session via your Student Center. We will open the reservation system on February 25 and it will close on July 12, 2013.
Step 1. Signing into your HOOP course in Moodle via myHumboldt. ***Once your HOOP start date arrives, you will not access the HOOP course via Student Center but instead in Moodle. You will receive an email with detailed instructions.
HOOP will introduce you to key academic regulations and requirements as well as campus programs and services.
Step 2. Completing the HOOP course
Once you have signed into Moodle, HOOP will appear under Ongoing courses.” Click on the name Humboldt Online Orientation Program, and you will be see the course entry page in Moodle. The HOOP course is the active link in Step #1. The HOOP course will not be visible in Moodle until your HOOP session start date and time. Do not attempt to search for the course before that time. If it is your start time and you don't easily see the HOOP course listed, please click on the "Ongoing" course categories section, then click the "H" in the A-Z index to locate the HOOP course there.
Watch a video about this step on our youtube.com channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/HSUOrientation?feature=watch
Video script: Entering the HOOP course
Step 3. Completing the HOOP survey
At the end of your HOOP you will see a link that reads "Go to HOOP survey." This survey must be completed in full and submitted in order to demonstrate that you've completed HOOP. Afterwards, your "HOOP registration hold" will be removed the next business day.
Step 4. Connecting with your HOOP advisor
During HOOP, you will see contact information for your HOOP advisor. This is the faculty member that is assigned to your academic major. After you have completed steps 1 through 3, you will need to connect with your HOOP advisor based on their stated method of communication. Once you've received advising, your advising hold will be removed. This process is not instantaneous and may take up to one week to complete.
Step 5.Registering for your classes at HSU
Once HOOP and your advising are complete, all orientation-related holds will be removed from your account and you could be ready to register for your classes. We cover the registration process during HOOP. Feel free to return to your HOOP course for a refresher and any helpful tips as you sit down to register for classes.
Optional HOOP Connect will take place on Friday, August 23, 2013 for those who wish to supplement their online orientation with an on-campus experience. Email invitation will be sent in August. HOOP Connect is not a replacement for HOOP.
Orientation Fees for Students
A one-time non-refundable $50.00 Student Orientation, Advising & Registration fee is included in the first-semester fees of all new Humboldt students upon course registration. This fee covers all advising and registration services and a university catalog. Please check your Student Center regularly for any outstanding balances. For information on all HSU fees, please go to Financial Aid website.