December 1-4, 2008
Holiday Inn on the Bay • San Diego, Calif.
The annual Association for Fire Ecology Award Banquet will occur on Wednesday, December 3; from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
The featured speaker at the banquet will be Dr. Jan Van Wagtendonk, research forester, USGS, Western Ecological Research Center, Yosemite Field Station. His topic will be "Fire Ecology: From Art to Science to Practice."
Student Association for Fire Ecology (SAFE) will present:
- A Steward of Fire award to an outstanding undergraduate and graduate student for work performed within the geographic region of the conference [Nomination form, PDF]
- An award for best student oral presentation [Oral Presentation Evaluation Criteria, PDF] and poster [Poster Evaluation Criteria, PDF]
- Conference moderator/volunteer meetings (Tuesday, Dec. 2, 8-8:45 a.m.)
- Conference Steering Committee (Monday, Dec. 1, 5:30 p.m.)
- Board meeting (Monday, Dec. 1, 6:30 p.m.)
- Membership meeting (Wed., Dec. 3, 5:45 p.m. [before the banquet])
- Annual meeting (Tuesday, Dec. 2, 5:45 p.m. [before the poster session]), includes a guest speaker
- Board meeting (Thursday, Dec. 4, late afternoon and Friday, Dec. 5)
- Lunch meeting - Student Association for Fire Ecology (SAFE) and interested students (Tuesday, Dec. 2, noon-1:30 p.m.) (Sign up at registration desk.)
- Evening Beach Bonfire for SAFE members (date to be arranged)
- Fire Use Modules (Monday, December 1)