Humboldt State University ® Department of Chemistry

Robert A. Paselk Scientific Instrument Museum

photo of students in lab, c. 1940

Humboldt State College, the Early Period: 1935-53

These instruments were obtained by Humboldt State College (now Humboldt State University) between 1936 when it was renamed from a State Teachers College to a State College, and 1953. This period includes the hiring of the first Professor of Chemistry, Dr Arthur Smith (1948), and the the completion of the first science building (the west-wing of Science A), with its accompanying instrument purchases, in 1952. The instruments were used in teaching Chemistry, Physics, and Life Sciences at a time when Humboldt still served mostly for the preparation of school teachers for the north coast region of California. However it was also during this period when Humboldt began to focus on programs important to the rich natural resources surrounding it, such as wildlife and forestry.
 

A variety of information is provided regarding science at Humboldt and the equipment used at the college for teaching science:


  HSTC icon
HSTC (1921-34)
HSC 35-53 icon
HSC (1935-1953)
HSC 54-73 icon
HSC (1954-1973)

Museum Home

© R. Paselk
Last modified 3 September 2010