In the summer of 2004, Kenton participated in the California Wilderness program. At the time, Kenton was a student at the University of California, Santa Cruz. Being part of the program was an experience that changed his life and one that he referred to as “a life altering experience.” He wrote detailed journals while on the journey and he so enjoyed the time spent with his group. His love of the environment and photography fit very well into this program. He shot hundreds of pictures and treasured the many places his group visited and the many things they learned and lived through.
Kenton died tragically on September 27, 2005 in a car accident.
His parents established this scholarship in his name to honor both their son and future students who want to take the same walk, gain a greater understanding and appreciation of the natural world and have their own “life altering experience.”
Currently, only students who are applying to the California Wilderness program (summer or spring terms only) with financial need are eligible to also apply for a scholarship. One scholarship of $500 is available per term. The application must be mailed or delivered to the Sierra Institute office on the Humboldt State University campus NO LATER than the application due date for California Wilderness. See additional requirements on the scholarship application.
Scholarship applicants will be advised of their status according to the schedule of notification for the California Wilderness program (see “Due Dates”).
Currently, Scholarship applications are solicited ONLY from those who are applying to participate in the Spring and Summer California Wilderness program and have a verifiable financial need.
Prepare all Application Materials well in advance. The application and necessary documents CANNOT BE ACCEPTED ELECTRONICALLY, so plan ahead.
- Fill out the three-page Dornbush Scholarship Application Form (downloadable PDF). Attach additional sheets if you run out of space.
- Compose a Personal Statement that will help selection committee members learn about your personal history, perspectives, goals and interests. Give information that demonstrates that you are the best candidate for a scholarship. Feel free to describe any experiences you consider important and relevant (e.g. community service/volunteer, employment, hobbies, etc.).
Complete the two-page Financial Need Form. Both pages must be filled out entirely; any missing information may disqualify you. Do not leave any section blank.
- Complete the Statement of Financial Need. (included in downloadable Application Form )
- Request 2 or more Letters of Recommendation from teachers, supervisors, colleagues or community members. Letters should be at least one page.
- Compile the Application Packet. Please submit one original. Paper clip only! Do NOT staple and do not use folders, binders, covers, etc. Complete application packets include the following attachments in this order:
- Scholarship Cover Sheet
- Dornbush Scholarship Application Form (3 pages)
- Personal Statement
- Financial Need Form
- Financial Need Statement
- 2 letters of recommendation. Please open and attach.
- Deliver or postmark this Application Packet by the Sierra Institute program application due date. This date varies depending on whether you are applying for a spring or a summer California Wilderness program. If you are unsure about the date you should apply, contact the Sierra Institute Office: (707) 826-3731. Late applications will not be considered.
Mail or deliver to:
Dornbush Memorial Scholarship
Office of Extended Education, SBS Bldg. #211
Humboldt State University
Arcata, CA 95521-8299
BACK TO TOP