MSW Application Process
Applying to Humboldt State University’s Master of Social Work Program is a two-part process. Acceptance into the MSW Program requires admission from both the Graduate Studies Program of Humboldt State University and the Department of Social Work. Thus, two separate application processes are required.
Part One - Application for Humboldt State University Graduate Studies (CSUMentor Online)
- Complete and submit the California State University Graduate Application online at CSU Mentor. During open periods (check Admission Cycle Deadlines) CSU Mentor is available 24 hours, 7 days a week. (Note: To avoid processing delays, submit your Master's application through CSU Mentor only after it is completely filled out, including accurate dates of attendance for all colleges you have attended.)
- $55.00 application fee is required at time of application. If you are unable to pay with a credit card, a check can be mailed to the address indicated below.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts are required from any college or university ever attended and must be sent to Graduate Admissions. Transcripts take time to process, so request them early. Note that a transcript is NOT considered official unless it is received by us in the original sealed envelope.
- Exceptions Related to HSU Transcripts: You do not need to request transcripts for any work completed at Humboldt State University as long as your classes were completed within the last 15 years. If you were enrolled at Humboldt as a regular matriculated student within the past 5 years, we will still have your file, so you do not need to request transcripts for college work completed elsewhere, unless you completed that college work after you left Humboldt.
- Letters of Reference are completed online at the time you are applying to CSU Mentor. You will need to check with your references to make sure they understand the information we are looking for in relation to your recommendations.
- At least one professional reference should be from a person who has supervised you in a human service delivery position or who is acquainted firsthand with your work, either paid, volunteer or field related.
- Academic references should be obtained from your undergraduate advisor or professors, with at least one from your major. For those who have been out of college for five years or more, and have no significant contact with people in former academic settings, persons who have known and worked with you in a professional capacity may be substituted.
- Please take care to select references that know you and know you well, can and will comment fully on your qualifications and are interested in your future professional success. Do not select friends, neighbors, or others who cannot really comment on your readiness for a professional career in social work or graduate study. It is often best to have a conversation with the person writing the letter and discussing what you hope they might cover in your letter.
- Once the application has been "completed" all files are sent to the department for review by the department's admissions committee.
- What constitutes a completed file?
- At least 1 Official Transcript from any college or university ever attended.
- Residency information completed.
- Application Fee ($55.00) paid.
- 3 Letters of Reference (electronically submitted).
- Reviewing your HSU status by looking at your Student Services Center. Upon application to HSU, you will receive your HSU Student ID and Log-In information in the mail
- Contacting the Department of Social Work Graduate Office to ensure they have received all required materials.
Humboldt State University
Office of Graduate Admissions
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA 95521
Supplemental Materials: The graduate social work program requires additional material (see Admissions Process - Dept).
You can follow your application status by:
For Humboldt State University application information, please contact the Graduate Admissions Office: 707.826.6250 or email@example.com.