Sociology MA Thesis Titles
This list is a collection of thesis titles submitted by Sociology graduate students at Humboldt State University.
Spring 2013 Master of Arts Graduate Thesis TitlesAndrew Adamus
Evaluating "New Horizons": A Mixed-Method Inquiry
Women's Work: Social Relations of Quilting
The Road to My Lai
Structural Inequality in Global Timber-Based Commodity Chains
Spring 2012 Master of Arts Graduate Thesis TitlesKaren August
Playing the Game: Marijuana Growing in a Rural Community
Advantages of Alternative Dispute Resolution Within and Between Organizations
Spring 2011 Master of Arts Graduate Thesis Titles
- Amanda Bertana
- China's Rise to Hegemony: The Search for African Oil
- Travis Byrne
- Bill Devall's Deep Ecology: Simple In Means, Rich In Ends
- Dan Davis
- The Mystic on the Concrete: Decision Making Strategies Among Those Who Say They Hear From God
- Robert Hogard
- Developing a New Model: The American Male—Making a Valuable Contribution to Society Through Mentoring
- Kristin Kovacs
- Anti-Poverty Movements and the Creation of National Service Programs
- Dustin Mabry
- Community Food Security: A New Social Movement Approach
- George Shaw
- The Road To My Lai
- Colin Trujillo
- Marijuana, Mexico and the Media
- Jimmy Valdes
- Sociology and Health: Understanding Nonurgent E.R. Visits in Humboldt County
- Amanda Ybarra
- Latino Immigration, Globalization and Health: Striving to Find Equality in the United States
Spring 2010 Master of Arts Graduate Thesis Titles
Montana Bison: Controversy in Yellowstone National Park
The Humboldt Community Breast Health Project: Social Support Among Women with Cancer
Becoming Upward Bound: Ritual, Self-Esteem and the Production of Belonging
The Achilles Heel of Higher Education: Minority Student Retention
Spring 2009 Master of Arts Graduate Thesis Titles
An Adventure in creating Socially Just Community Colleges: A case study of a Northern California Community College
Jason M. Whitley
Cameras, COPS, and Contention: The Policing of Independent Media at the 2008 Republican National Convention
Ali Razzak Chaudhary
Choosing "Desi" Exploring the New Second Generation South Asian American Community
Mark Daniel Blackurst
Community Influence in Humboldt County a Comment Regarding Power
Zachary David Funk
Dissonant Lyricists: Expressions of Identity and Resistance in Underground Hip Hop
Food, Land, and Community: A Social Movement in Humboldt County
Spring 2008 Master of Arts Graduate Thesis Titles
The Globalization Of Agriculture and Social Resistance
Mediation Across the Curriculum
Vance William Luther Edwards
Well-Being in Cohousing: A Qualitative Study
Kathleen Joy Ellion
Researching Evidence-Based Actuarial Assessment Tools for the Humboldt County Probation Department
John Edward Haskell
A Bird's Eye View: Medical Marijuana - The Patient's Perspective
Anthroprogenic Carbon Dioxide Mitigation: Social Barriers to the Diffusion of the Compact Flourescent Light Bulb.
Matthew Ambrose Jelen
Evaluating the Viability of Community Currency as a Tool of Sustainable Development: A Case Study of the Humboldt Exchange Community Currency Project
Karen Elizabeth Nelson
Transferring Land: The Right Thing To Do
Amber Lea Smith
Mapping a Whole New World With the Emma Center: Integrative Healing to Generate Empowerment
Natalie Terese Soder
Community Currency : An Approach to Economic Sustainability in One Local Bioregion
Jessica Ruth Stephan
The V-Day Movement: Women Organizing Communities Against Violence
Spring 2007 Master of Arts Graduate Thesis Titles
- Maral Attallah
Choosing Silence: The United States, Turkey, and the Armenian Genocide
Community organizing for economic development : a program evaluation of the Maine Downtown Center.
- Mark Bauermeister
Small Farm Disinvestment in Eastern Nebraska: Seeking Sustainability in the Periphery
Expanding your horizons: A Study of girls participation in math and science.
- Timothy Faiella
- Media and Social Change Processes Humboldt State University
- Gisela Rutishauser- Chappelle
Assesment and redesign of teaching "theories and methods of alternative dispute resolution" online.
Disaster Preparedness in the United States.
Spring 2006 Master of Arts Graduate Thesis Titles
- Elizabeth Archibald
- Learning Disability Assessment and Student Retention Rate at Humboldt State University
- Dorothea Bott
- Your Voice~ Your Choice Coalition Transportation Committee Project
- Margaret Campbell
- Social Sustainability of Rural Community Well-Being and Designing a Planning Process that will Minimize the Negative Impacts of "Big Box" Retailers
- Megan McDrew
- Peace Corps: Motivational Factors to Enhance Recruitment and Volunteer Retention
- Leah Thompson
- Girls Participation in Math and Science: A Program Evaluation of Expanding your Horizons
Spring 2005 Master of Arts Graduates Thesis Titles
- Jordan T. Camp
- Zapatismo and Autonomous Social Movements: Reading the Communities Politically
- Yi-Lang Chao
- The Equip Mode and the New Horizons Program
- Adrian L. Chevraux-Fitshugh
- Discovering Democracy: Grassroots Organizations and Strategies of Mobilization
- Stephanie Daley
- An Evaluation of Humboldt County's Juvenile Detention Risk Assessment Tool
- David D. Dominguez
- Totalitarian Democracy
- Christina E. Fritschi
- Barriers to the Process of Change in the Integrated Health Care Model for Clients and Health Care Providers
- Jeffrey Gunn
- The Nation-State and the Transitional Capitalist Class in the Era of Global Accumulation
- Micheal Levy
- Globalization, Biodiversity, and Resistance in Mexico: Deconstructing Plan Puebla-Panama
- Lorrie A. Loveman
- The Global Genie Project
- Henryetta H. Martin
- The Suppression of Honor: Sexual Molestation of Young Men in the Boy Scouts of America
- Keiko Mori
- Social Change in the Emperor System
- Adriane S. Mozzini
- Learning for Life: The Social and Academic Outcomes of a Waldorf Education
- Leah A. Thompson
- Girls Participation in Math and Science: A Program Evaluation of Expanding Your Horizons .pdf file
- Tiffany Wilson
- The Fusion of Asset Mapping and a Community Network: Bayside as a Case Study
- Paula Yoon
- Utilizing Principles of Transformative Mediation in the Development of the Redwood Regional Watershed Center
Spring 2004 Master of Arts Graduate Thesis Titles
- Hermine Amoussou
- Social Perception of Working Women in Benin: Gender Analysis.
- Michael Levy
- Globalization, Diversity, and Resistance in Mexico: Reconstructing Plan Puebla- Panama.
- Andrew Lord
- A Brief History of Place: a Guide to Economic Recovery for Timber Dependent Communities.
- Lorrie Loveman
- The Global Genie Project
- Nicholas Osborne
- Prostitution as Legitimate Work: an Analysis of Sex Work in America.
- Jenny Shayani
- A Sociological Theory of Depression: an Integrated Approach to Optimism and Pessimism, Toward Effective Resolution of a Societal Problem
Spring 2003 Master of Arts Graduate Thesis Titles
- Andrea Bustos
- Examining Organizational Social Change in CA and Chile
- Richard Jennings
- RV Tourism in Humboldt County, California: an Exploratory Case Study.
- Jodi Kateiva
- When the Abused Fightback: Analysis of Victim Precipitated Trigger Response.
- Jacelyn Macedo
- Working Butch: Lesbian Gender Nonconformity in the Workplace.
- Dan Saveliff
- The Hurdles We Overcome: Factors and Processes Influencing the Social and Academic Integration of Non-traditional College Students.
- Will Tift
- Exploring Alcohol use Among University Students in Social Context: The Impacts of Binge Drinking, Connectedness to Drinking Peers
- Bethaney Weber
- A Rationalization of Bureaucratic Infrastructure: Federally Recognized Indian tribes in California
Spring 2002 Master of Arts Graduate Thesis Titles
- Christina Begley
- Training Mediators to be Reflective Practitioners.
- Fergus Breck
- Five Cases of African Revolution- a Comparative Historical Study of Successful Anti-colonial Revolutions.
- Farnad Darnell
- Iranian Americans: a Comparative Study of Iranian Cultural Retention Among Three Generations of Iranian Americans.
- Gregory Gibson
- Carnegie Heroes: a Social Exchange Theory Examination.
- Michael Grossman
- A Feminist/ Interactionist Approach to Disability.
- Thomas Hunnicutt
- A Teacher's Guide to Genocide in California History.
- Karla Lusby
- Men Who Batter: an Examination of a Typology in Batterers Completing Treatment.
- James Vaughn
- The Culture of the Bohemian Grove: a Symbolic Interactionist Study
Spring 2001 Master of Arts Graduate Thesis Titles
- Elizabeth Bennett
- Surf like a Girl: Women, Identity, and Representation in Surf Culture.
- Laura Estetter
- Personal Assistance for People with Disabilities: an Exploratory Study.
- Joel Mitchell
- The Moral Panic About Raves: Newspaper Transmission and Legislation.
- Robyn Schroeder
- Designing a Parent-teen Mediation Program for the Eureka, Arcata, McKinleyville, Area.
- Lael Washington
- Black Women at the Intersection of Race, Gender, and Class: How These Issues Affect our Lives and How we Deal with Them