A newly-hatched Killdeer chick on the Eel River gravel bars.
- Professor, Wildlife Department, Humboldt State University 1998-Present
- Associate Professor of Wildlife, Humboldt State University 1995-1998
- Assistant Professor of Wildlife, Humboldt State University 1989-1995
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate, University of North Dakota 1987-1989
- Ph.D. Biology, University of North Dakota 1987
- B.A. Biology, Whitman College 1979
Awards & Recognition
- Scholar of the Year, Humboldt State University 2007
- Fulbright Fellow - Russia 1995-1996
- Elective Member - American Ornithologists' Union 1994
- National Academy of Sciences: U.S.-Russia Biodiversity Exchange 1992,1993
- Wilson Ornithological Society - Best Paper in Wilson Bulletin 1989
- Outstanding Biology Graduate Student, University of North Dakota 1987
- Neil McDonald Scholarship, University of North Dakota 1985
Professional Service, Memberships & Activities
- American Ornithologists' Union; Association of Field Ornithologists; Cooper Ornithological Society; Society of Wetland Scientists; The Wildlife Society; Waterbird Society; & Wilson Ornithological Society.
- Regular reviewer of papers submitted to Auk, Condor, Wilson Journal of Ornithology, Waterbirds, & Journal of Field Ornithologists.
- Local organizing committee, Cooper Ornithological Society annual meeting, June 2005.
- Scientific Advisory Board, Oiled Wildlife Care Network. 2003-2006.
- Reviewed Draft Economic Analysis for Designation of Critical Habitat for the Western Snowy Plover.
- Student club advisor (Conservation Unlimited/student chapter of The Wildlife Society).
- President, North Coast Chapter of The Wildlife Society (2009)
- Occasional presenter, Arcata School District, Bloomfield School, Sunset School & Arcata High School.
- Arcata Creeks & Wetlands Advisory Committee (early 1990s).
- Regular contributor, Godwit Days, including keynote speaker (1998) & shorebird workshop (2000-2007).
- Contributor to USFWS Snowy Plover conservation in coastal northern California (Recovery Unit 2). Publish annual reports, advise management for county, state & federal agencies, help train docents.
- Occasional contributor of opinion pieces to Eureka Reporter, McKinleyville Press.
- Recent invited presentations: Explore Northcoast (12 Feb 2007).
- Avid fly angler (when I get the time).