- Make a Gift »
Your gifts help today's students
- Alumni – Send an Update »
Jobs, awards and more
- Read Alumni Updates »
Welcome to the Department of Critical Race, Gender and Sexuality Studies (CRGS)
The Home of CouRaGeouS Learning, Scholarship and Action!
Critical Race, Gender and Sexuality Studies (CRGS) is an undergraduate program focused on the critical examination of race, class, gender, sexuality, dis/ability and nation as intersecting categories of identity, oppression and resistance. As a community of scholars, teachers and learners from the interdisciplinary fields of ethnic studies, women’s studies and multicultural queer studies, we aim to create a just and sustainable world by analyzing systems of inequality and strategies for resistance. Our critical approach is intersectional and comparative; our focus is local, national, and transnational. This knowledge engenders transformative practices in research, creative work, and community activism.
Ethnic Studies, Women's Studies, and Multicultural Queer Studies at HSU have a history of collaboration emerging from our shared commitment to intersectional analysis, emancipatory education, and social justice. For years, faculty and students in ES, WS and MQS have worked to create an interdisciplinary, innovative, and rich program that builds on our shared commitments and approaches, while simultaneously retaining the important and unique identity of each academic field. In 2010, we combined our programs into the Department of Critical Race, Gender and Sexuality Studies (CRGS). Students will now be able to pursue a major with a common CRGS core and a focus of study in Ethnic Studies, Women's Studies or Multicultural Queer Studies. We are excited about the future before us and invite you to join our growing community.
Enacting CouRaGeouS scholarship means:
- Creating a just and sustainable world, for the earth and all of its inhabitants.
- Critiquing and ultimately eradicating systems and ideologies of inequality.
- Collaborating across disciplines, across social positions, and across geographic localities.
CRGS is dedicated to collaborative education, knowledge production, and action. Program participants work cooperatively to develop tools with which to promote and actualize intersectional feminist consciousness, racial justice, and social transformation. This critical framework provides tools with which to:
- Transform the way we examine society and act in the world.
- Engage in self-reflexive analysis.
- Foster social, political, economic, reproductive, and environmental justice.
- Uncover what is obscured by status-quo thinking.
- Demystify the workings and inter-workings of power, privilege, and oppression while revealing their material consequences, and imagining alternatives.
- Respect the truths and experiences of a diverse range of individuals and communities.
- Build coalition and solidarity across lines of difference.
- (Re)construct life-serving and life-saving paradigms.
Please join us in courageously building coalitional spaces of transformative knowledge production and in the long-term work of creating a more just world.
Click here to visit our Youtube page to check out what CRGS Seniors have to say about our program!