PARTICIPATE IN OLLI
Volunteer Opportunities in OLLI
There are many ways to volunteer for OLLI. Below are several options. For information about any of these, or to discuss your options, call 826-5880 or e-mail.
- Be an OLLI ambassador:
Share your OLLI experience with friends, neighbors, coworkers or other organizations you belong to.
- Teach an OLLI course:
Do you want to share your passion, develop innovative learning experiences and inspire others to learn without burden of grades or homework? Get more information about proposing an OLLI course here.
- Assist in the classroom:
Work behind the scenes to help courses run smoothly, interact with faculty and students. A training is held each semester. See the current calendar.
- Join the OLLI Curriculum Committee:
Develop classes, interact with community. Meets every other Tuesday, 10 a.m.-noon, Humboldt Bay Aquatic Center, room 110. For information about joining the committee, call 826-3743. See Propose a Course for the names of the current Curriculum Committee.
- Join the OLLI Advisory Committee:
Plan for the future of OLLI, assist with Friends of OLLI. Help build a sustainable OLLI program. To become a member of this important OLLI committee, call 826-5880 or e-mail.
- Use your skills:
Do you like organizing social events, writing articles or blogs, taking photographs, or traveling? Are there other skills or connections that you have and would like to use to support OLLI?
OLLI Special Interest Groups
In addition to courses, OLLI at HSU offers the opportunity for members to meet at Humboldt Bay Aquatic Center on an ongoing basis. If you are interested in starting a Special Interest Group or joining any of the groups listed below, please contact the OLLI director for more information.
Special Interest Group fees: OLLI annual membership and $5 per semester room fee, unless stated otherwise.
- THE OLLI BOOK GROUP meets to choose and discuss great books. All genres are embraced. The group meets from 5-7 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month.
- FRIENDS OF JUNG is a group that formed following several of Madeline McMurray’s OLLI classes on Jung. These participants felt there was much more to discover and discuss. The group meets 10 a.m.-noon on the first Tuesday of each month.
- DIPS GENEALOGY GROUP: The DIPS are seniors Digging Into the Past. They have informal discussions about genealogy and the world. They help one another find people, history, connections and stories. The group meets from 10 a.m.-noon on the first and third Thursdays of each month.
- THE SOUL COLLAGE GROUP: This group loosely follows the guidelines for Soul Collage by Seena Frost. This group brings collage materials and then uses Frost’s process for discussing the collages created that morning. Two members of the group are trained Soul Collage facilitators. The group meets 10 a.m.-noon on the second Wednesday of each month.
- THE WRITING CRITIQUE GROUP welcomes writers every other Wednesday from 1-3 p.m. the group provides a nurturing and non-confrontational place for writers to share up to ten pages each time. The groups consist of three or four writers who want to comment upon and receive others’ comments on their writing projects, in hopes of both becoming more consistently productive and improving the final product. Note: Fee for this group is $10/semester.
- WRITING FOR CHILDREN SUPPORT CIRCLE welcomes writers of any level to come to share children's story ideas, support each other with gentle and constructive feedback on writings, and generally inspire one another to keep writing. This group meets the first Saturday of each month from 1-3 p.m. beginning in February.
Learn more about the Friends of OLLI. This group is creating a culture of giving to sustain OLLI at HSU, to make opportunities affordable and available throughout the community.
OLLI at HSU benefits from collaborations with many non-profit and governmental organizations. We greatly appreciate their support of lifelong learniing in our community. See the list of Partners.