Software Engineering is a field that applies engineering concepts to software development. It encompasses the development, operation and maintenance of programs. The curriculum of software engineering programs includes computing fundamentals, software design and construction, requirements analysis, security, verification, and validation; software engineering processes and tools appropriate for the development of complex software systems; and discrete mathematics, probability, and statistics, with applications appropriate to software engineering.
New Program for Fall 2023
Degrees Offered: BS
Learn to identify and solve complex modern problems through software systems with a focus on sustainability, equity, and justice.
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- Apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- Function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives .
- Develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- Acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
A bachelor’s degree in software engineering leads to highly paid careers in software development in fields including:
Software engineering graduates are eligible for positions in related fields like cybersecurity and may also be competitive for many mid-level positions in software development. Graduates may also have opportunities to work on embedded software projects; this type of software is used in virtually every industry, from medicine to aeronautics.