background 0background 1background 2background 3


Moving In


Family in photo booth at Move-in

Fall 2024 Move-In

First-Year Students can start moving in Saturday, 8/17. Transfer & Continuing Students can move-in starting Monday, 8/19. Students that need to move in prior to their move in date will pay an additional $30 per night. Move-In times will be selected in the Application in the myHousing portal.
Check-In Date
Check-In Location
Check-In Hours
Saturday, 8/17*
Hill & Jolly Giant Commons (JGC)**8am - 10pm
Sunday, 8/18
Jolly Giant Commons (JGC)10am - 10pm
Monday, 8/19
Jolly Giant Commons (JGC)8am - 10pm
Tuesday, 8/20 - Friday, 8/23
Jolly Giant Commons (JGC)8am - 10pm
Saturday, 8/24 - Sunday, 8/25
Jolly Giant Commons (JGC)8am - 10pm
Monday, 8/26
Jolly Giant Commons (JGC)8am - 10pm
*First-Year Students who will be living in the Hill will be able to check-in at the Hill location on Saturday, 8/17 from 8am - 3:30pm. Outside of those hours, Hill residents should check-in at the JGC.
Find information about the move-in process and other helpful ideas to get you started on your way to a successful year at Humboldt!

Photo ID

New students are required to upload your own photo for your Humboldt student ID card. Uploading a photo will save time waiting in line at the ID Office, expedite access to campus services, and ensure you are happy with the photo. 

For full instructions on how to complete this, click here.  

PLEASE NOTE: You will not be able to upload your photo until after you've registered for classes.

Opening of the Residence Halls

You will need to bring a valid photo ID to check-in.

Please leave all of your belongings in your car. Once you have gone through the check-in process, you will be directed to your specific hall. During check-in, you can expect to receive your ID card or temporary card with access to your room and meal plan. We will answer questions about where to unload your belongings, how to get a hand truck and explain how to review your room using a room condition card.

After you move-in, you will be asked to complete your Room Condition Form online by logging into your myHousing portal. Please take time to document the condition of your room. Providing detailed comments will ensure that you are not held responsible for any damage you did not cause.

What to Bring

Student rooms are furnished with an extra long (regular length in Creekview and some Campus Apartment rooms) twin bed, desk, chair, dresser, and wastebasket for each student. We suggest that you bring all of the special items that will make your new home feel like home but you can't bring everything!

Some of the basic items you might want to add to your list are:

  • Pillows*
  • Linens*
  • Mattress Pad*
  • Bath towels*
  • Posters and pictures
  • Cell phone and charger
  • Laptop
  • Study lamp
  • Flashlight
  • Laundry supplies
  • Hangers
  • Reusable grocery bags
  • Reusable water bottle
  • Toiletry Carrier
  • Blankets
  • Umbrella
  • Padlock - Desks have a drawer that can be locked with a padlock.

Residents in each apartment and suite are responsible for the cleaning of the common area kitchen, bathroom, living room and hallway and are responsible for supplying toiletries and bathroom tissue. Cookware, dishes, utensils, etc.. are not provided. Residents in apartments and suites with kitchens, should coordinate with their apartment/suite mates to see what others are bringing. Creekview Suite kitchenettes need induction compatible cookware to use with the induction stovetops.

You can bring a television but, if not, Sunset, Redwood, and Canyon have TV lounges in each building. There are also large screen TV's in the Creekside Lounge, the College Creek Great Hall and the Jolly Giant Commons Recreation Room.

*Students living in the off-campus hotels do not need to bring pillows, comforters, towels, etc... as these items are already provided.

When considering your blankets, linens, and mattress pads, please note:

  • All buildings (with the exception of some rooms in Campus Apartments and Creekview Apartments and Creekview Suites) have extra long mattresses that measure approximately 34" wide by 78"-80" long by 6" thick.
  • If you live in the Campus Apartments, all beds are extra long twin beds except for the following:
    • Double rooms 1-16, 25-32, 40-47 on the A2 or B1 side have standard twin beds.
    • Double rooms 17-24, 33-39, 48-55 on the A1 or B2 side have standard twin beds.
  • All the beds in Creekview Apartments are standard twin beds.
  • All beds in Creekview Suites are standard twin, except for rooms that end with the number 6; these rooms have extra long twin beds. 
  • Students in the off-campus hotels do not need to bring bedding. These are supplied by the hotel.     

For your convenience, we have partnered with Dormify to provide an easy, affordable way to purchase Twin XL bedding, dorm storage solutions, and everything else you'll need (and want) for your new home away from home. Please visit to get move-in day ready and create your dream dorm!

Microwaves are also provided in the residence halls.

The locations are:

  • Sunset & Redwood: in the 1st floor kitchen and one in each room.
  • Cypress: in the kitchen of each suite.
  • Campus Apartments: 1st level lounge and in the kitchen of each apartment.
  • Canyon: on the 1st level of each building and one in each room.
  • Creekview: in the kitchen of each apartment.
  • College Creek: in the kitchen of each apartment.
  • Off-Campus Hotels: one in each room.

Cal Poly Humboldt Housing will provide one microwave and one mini refrigerator per room for the residents of Redwood, Sunset, Alder, Cedar, Chinquapin, Hemlock, Madrone, Maple, Tan Oak and Pepperwood. Only one microwave and one mini refrigerator is allowed in each room. 

Residents of College Creek, Campus Apartments, Cypress Hall and Creekview Suites and Apartments are not allowed to have microwaves and mini refrigerators in their personal rooms.  Microwaves and refrigerators are provided in the kitchen area of each apartment or suite of these complexes.

Students should not purchase and bring these items from home.

Students with medical needs requiring additional refrigeration space need to contact the Campus Disability Resource Center at  If approved, the refrigerator must be kept in an open space that allows ventilation.  Refrigerators may not be placed in a closet or under desks.

Additional kitchen appliances available:

  • Sunset & Redwood: a refrigerator and stove in the 1st floor kitchen and a mini refrigerator in each room.
  • Cypress: a refrigerator and stove in the kitchen. Dishwashers are located in remodeled apartments, 4110, 4210, 4310, 4320, 4410, 4420,4510, 4520, 4810, 4820, 4910, and 4920. The remaining suites will include a dishwasher once they have been remodeled.
  • Canyon: a refrigerator and stove on the 1st level kitchen and a mini refrigerator is in each room.
  • Campus Apartments: a refrigerator and stove in the shared kitchen.
  • Creekview Apartments: a refrigerator and stove in the kitchen of each apartment.
  • Creekview Suites: a refrigerator and induction stove kitchenette in each suite.
  • College Creek: a dishwasher, refrigerator and stove in the kitchen of each apartment.

Cookware, dishes, utensils, etc.. are not provided. Residents in apartments and suites with kitchens, should coordinate with their apartment/suite mates to see what others are bringing. Creekview Suite kitchenettes need induction compatible cookware to use with the induction stovetops.

Restricted Items

Appliances: Residents of College Creek, Campus Apartments, Cypress, and Creekview are not allowed to have microwaves and mini-refrigerators in their personal rooms. Microwaves and refrigerators are provided in the kitchen area of each apartment in these complexes.

Cal Poly Humboldt Housing provides one microwave and one mini refrigerator and one microwave per room for the Hill and Canyon residence hall residents. Please note that only one microwave and one mini refrigerator are allowed in each room. Students should not purchase or bring these items from home.

Residential-sized coffee pots, Keurigs, and small electrical tea kettles that are UL-approved do not have an open hot element and have automatic shutoffs are allowed in the bedrooms of the Canyon and Hill residence halls. However, such appliances are not permitted in the bedrooms of College Creek, Campus Apartments, Cypress, and Creekview residence halls.

No cooking can occur in bedrooms. Cooking appliances such as electric frying pans, crock pots, hot plates, toasters, toaster ovens, woks, etc., are allowed in the kitchen and must be plugged directly into an outlet.

Butane torches, Propane Tanks, and flammable materials are prohibited.

Pets: Residents may not have birds, warm-blooded or poisonous pets at any time in the residence halls. There is a $250 fine for unauthorized animals. Cold-blooded reptiles, amphibians, or fish are allowed provided they are adequately contained in an aquarium/container no larger than 10 gallons. Each resident is allowed one 10-gallon aquarium except in a triple room where only two aquariums/containers would be allowed. The fish/reptile/amphibian must adequately fit in the aquarium/container as prescribed by a professional who is able to determine such matters (veterinarian, pet store owner, scientist, etc.). You must consult with your roommate prior to bringing the pet to address any concerns your roommate might express.

Open-coil space heaters are not allowed in the room. UL-certified space heaters, which have fire-preventative features like tip-off, overheat protection, and automatic shutoff, are permitted.

Trees/ wreaths:  Live or dead trees/wreaths are not allowed. Only certified flame-retardant artificial holiday trees up to 3 feet tall and wreaths up to 24” inches are permitted.

Please see Fire Safety in Housing & Residence Life for more information.

Bed Lofts

Bed lofting is only available in certain areas. If you live in the Canyon or College Creek and you would like your bed lofted, please email or submit a maintenance request through your myhousing in the myhumboldt portal. Residents can easily loft their own beds in the Hill. The majority of beds in Campus Apartment are already lofted. Beds cannot be lofted in Creekview and Cypress. Lofting isn't available in triple rooms in any area, as most are already lofted.

Shipping Items

You may wish to ship items in advance such as trunks, luggage, boxes, and bicycles. You may do so by addressing them to your address listed in the room assignment email. We do ask that you do not ship items until August 1 for Fall and January 1 for Spring, when we are able to set aside additional storage for packages to arrive for opening.

Do NOT put "Cal Poly Humboldt" on your shipped items as it will delay the routing of your package. Items shipped to us prior to the opening of the residence halls will be stored on the second floor of the Jolly Giant Commons. We will have the Mailroom staffed each day until 5pm so you can plan on picking up your packages when you arrive.

Another option is Collegeboxes' Ship to School service ships from home and delivers items directly to the residence halls on move-in day. A seamless, affordable and safe way for you to get your stuff to campus. Checkout out Collegeboxes for more information.

Parents and families, want to send your student a care package? Go to


Our ResNet computer connectivity program allows every resident to have ability to access the internet through wired or wireless connections. Wireless is now available in many areas throughout the residence halls and the Jolly Giant Commons. Campus Apartments is an exception, and has wireless internet only throughout the building.

Rental Insurance

As noted in the housing agreement, Cal Poly Humboldt assumes no responsibility and provides no insurance or financial protection for your personal property. We strongly recommend that you get rental insurance coverage. As our resident, you're eligible to purchase coverage through GradGuard's student renter insurance program. Cal Poly Humboldt does not receive compensation for providing this student benefit . This preferred rate is available to you because you're a Cal Poly Humboldt student. GradGuard's Renters Insurance is underwritten by Markel American Insurance Company. Claims and coverage are subject to language, limits and exclusions, and policy. Visit to get more information about their coverage and a quote.

Parking & Transportation

We highly encourage new Humboldt students, especially first-year students, not to bring a car to campus. Parking is limited, and a permit does not guarantee you a parking space. For information about parking on campus, permit costs, etc... please visit the Parking website.

There are many alternatives to getting around Arcata and the surrounding areas without your own vehicle. The Jack Pass allows students to ride local bus systems for free and downtown Arcata is only a 10-15 minute walk from the university. Don't want to bring your bike, or don't have one? No problem, use Humboldt Bikeshare to get around campus and town. Need to leave Arcata, you can also take advantage of Zipcar to get around the area. Or if you need a way to get home during the breaks, take advantage of a special bus charter with Humboldt Homeward Bound.