background 0background 1background 2background 3


Out-of-State Tuition Program

If you live in one of the 14 states shown below, you automatically qualify for big discounts on tuition at Cal Poly Humboldt, a premier university on California's pristine north coast.

Attend Cal Poly Humboldt for nearly the same cost as a public university in your home state. In some cases, going out of state and attending Humboldt might actually save you money on tuition! Humboldt, a premier California State University campus, allows undergraduate students from 14 eligible western states to enroll for $10,652 per year*—a savings of about $6,500 per year on regular out-of-state tuition.

Residents of the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands (CNMI) or Palau are eligible to receive the discounted W.U.E. tuition rate.

* Price is an estimate and based on 2019-20 costs for 1 year and 15 units per semester.

Image on the right is a demonstration of the states who participate in the W.U.E. Program. The states are Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, North Dakota, and South Dakota. 

graphic of the USA with the western states colored in different colors

Frequent Questions

WUE is a state exchange program with participants from Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. Students can attend participating public colleges or universities in the western states at a significantly reduced cost.

Residents of the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands (CNMI) are also eligible to receive the special WUE tuition rate.

You will automatically receive the WUE award upon admission to Humboldt.

The 2021-22 estimated tuition and fees cost for a WUE student is $10,732.

The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun.

All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by the Board of Trustees.

You will not be able to claim California residency while participating in the WUE program. To be considered for residency, you will have to stop participating in the WUE program for a minimum of one year.

Out-of-state admission requirements will be used to determine admission to Humboldt with the WUE discount.

All academic programs are open to WUE participants.

The priority application period for Fall admission is October 1–November 30. Applications for Spring admission are available August 1-31.

You must remain in good academic standing as stated in the university catalog. If you leave Humboldt and the decide to reapply, you must apply from a WUE state to rejoin the WUE program.

There is no time limit on participating in the WUE program.

If we overlooked your question, or you would like more information, you can call us toll free at (866) 850-9556 or send us an e-mail at