background 0background 1background 2background 3


Disqualification & Reinstatement

Academic Disqualification

Academic disqualification occurs when the Cal Poly Humboldt GPA of a student who is already on academic notice falls below the minimum for their academic level. Students are required to take at least one year away from Cal Poly Humboldt to allow time to change the circumstances that contributed to their academic difficulties. 

The reinstatement procedures on this page are specific to undergraduate academic disqualification and do not apply to other types of disqualification, such as disqualification for disciplinary reasons or disqualification from a graduate or other post baccalaureate program.

  • Questions about disqualification from a graduate or other post baccalaureate program should be directed to the graduate coordinator or to the Graduate Studies Office.
  • Contact the Office of the Registrar at for questions about administrative academic disqualification. 

Reinstatement (Request to return following disqualification) 

The reinstatement process has two parts and takes approximately two weeks to complete.

Part One: Start the process

  1. Check eligibility. Use the Reinstatement Timeline Tool to see if you are eligible to request reinstatement.
  2. Submit a Request to Return at least 2 weeks before the application deadline to allow enough time to complete the second part of the process. Submit your request to return no later than July 15 for Fall semester or no later than: November 15 for Spring semester

    Request to return
  3. Meet with an ACAC or EOP advisor to develop a plan for success.
    Academic & Career Advising Center (ACAC) or call (707) 826-3341

    Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) or call(707) 826-4781
  4. Draft petition answers and prepare documentation Petition for Reinstatement Instructions 

Part Two: Finish the application (after you receive notice that your application has processed)

  1. Check your Student Center “Admissions” section. Click on Application Status. In the box that opens, click on the Reinstatement Form link. (Please note that the link will be available approximately 10 business days after you submit your request to return.)
  2. Complete the online Petition for Reinstatement 
  3. Check your email frequently. You will receive instructions for completing the online orientation tutorial and information about registering for classes. You can find the enrollment dates for returning students on our When to Register webpage.

Questions about Disqualification and Reinstatement

If you receive financial aid, your academic disqualification may affect your eligibility. Please review the Satisfactory Progress information and contact the financial aid office at or 707-826-4321.

Contact Veterans Enrollment & Transition Services (707-826-6272) to discuss additional steps you may need to take.

You will be disenrolled from the classes and your fees will be reversed.

If you have an existing relationship with one of the following programs, contact your advisor in that program. General questions about disqualification and reinstatement can be directed to the Academic & Career Advising Center.

Yes. You may need to update your password and if you have trouble accessing your account, please contact the Humboldt Information Technology Help Desk at (707) 826-4357.

We do not recommend that you take classes elsewhere unless your Advising Center advisor, EOP advisor, or major advisor has helped you select courses that will fulfill outstanding degree requirements with his or her guidance. In any case, do not repeat courses you have taken at Humboldt.

No. However if you are awaiting a grade change or withdrawal, it is your responsibility to follow up with the Office of the Registrar regarding any changes to your academic standing. For more information about withdrawal, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (707) 826-4101.

Generally not, but check with any other CSU you'd like to attend to find out what their eligibility requirements are. If you do attend another CSU, speak with an advisor at Humboldt about your plans to determine how any courses might transfer.

Your time away from Humboldt should be spent addressing the obstacles that prevented you from succeeding academically. The Academic & Career Advising Center’s Academic Recovery and Resilience resources and videos are a good place to start.

If you are living on campus when you become academically disqualified from Humboldt, you must immediately notify the Housing & Residence Life Office. You will have 3-5 days to vacate the halls. Students who are academically disqualified from Humboldt are not subject to Housing financial penalties for giving less than 30 days notice. Visit the housing website's Moving Out page for more information.

Refer to the official email you received after being disqualified for your specific timeline and requirements or use the Reinstatement Timeline Tool to find the disqualification, reinstatement, and application periods for a specific disqualification semester.

  • After your first Academic Disqualification, you are not eligible to petition for reinstatement until you have been out of school at least one semester.
  • After your second Academic Disqualification, you are not eligible to petition for reinstatement until you have been out of school at least two semesters.
  • After your third Academic Disqualification, you are not eligible to return to Cal Poly Humboldt.

For additional information, see Academic Standing.

The Petition for Reinstatement Instructions includes the questions from the petition. Each question includes prompts to help you reflect on the topic in depth. We recommend that you share a draft of your answers with an advisor. Contact the Academic and Career Advising Center or Educational Opportunities Program (EOP)

We recommend that you contact an advisor in the Academic and Career Advising Center or Educational Opportunity Program to talk about your educational goals and future success. Together you will access DARS and create a three-semester plan.

Learn more about the DARS Planning Tools (707) 826-3341

Your Petition will be reviewed by a Committee whose members include staff from the Learning Center, Student Disability Resource Center, Veterans Enrollment & Transition Services, Office of Admissions, Office of the Registrar, and the Academic & Career Advising Center. The Committee uses the Petition Guidelines to determine whether there is enough evidence that you have addressed the problems that resulted in your disqualification and are prepared to succeed at the university. The Committee begins review of Fall petitions in March and Spring Petitions in September. In both cases, it is our intent to give you a response in time to register for the upcoming term with all other returning students if approved.

You will receive the Committee's decision via email. If your Petition is approved, you will need to meet with an advisor to solidify your academic plan for your return and enroll for classes. If your Petition is denied, you will be given guidance from the Committee on how to successfully petition for a future semester.

Reinstatement Timeline Tool

To view the timeline for the disqualification period and reinstatement process, select the semester that the student last attended classes at Humboldt to view the timeline for their petition for reinstatement.

Number of Disqualifications
Show results