background 0background 1background 2background 3

Pregnant & Parenting Support

Pregnant & Parenting Student Rights

We recognize that nursing, pregnant and/or parenting employees and students can have any gender identity; please be aware that some of the language throughout these sections is reflective of legal text, which we recognize may be limiting in terms of identity. Click on the topics below for additional information.

The information shared in this section is adapted from the Office for Civil Rights guide to pregnant and parenting student rights.

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”), 20 U.S.C. §1681 et seq., is a Federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex—including pregnancy and parental status—in educational programs and activities.

All public and private schools, school districts, colleges, and universities receiving any Federal funds (“schools”) must comply with Title IX.* Here are some things you should know about your rights:

Classes and School Activities
  • Allow you to continue participating in classes and extracurricular activities even though you are pregnant. This means that you can still participate in advanced placement and honors classes, school clubs, sports, honor societies, student leadership opportunities, and other activities, like after-school programs operated at the school.
  • Allow you to choose whether you want to participate in special instructional programs or classes for pregnant students. You can participate if you want to, but your school cannot pressure you to do so. The alternative program must provide the same types of academic, extracurricular and enrichment opportunities as your school’s regular program.
  • Allow you to participate in classes and extracurricular activities even though you are pregnant and not require you to submit a doctor’s note unless your school requires a doctor’s note from all students who have a physical or emotional condition requiring treatment by a doctor. Your school also must not require a doctor’s note from you after you have been hospitalized for childbirth unless it requires a doctor’s note from all students who have been hospitalized for other conditions.
  • Provide you with reasonable adjustments, like a larger desk, elevator access, or allowing you to make frequent trips to the restroom, when necessary because of your pregnancy.
Excused Absences and Medical Leave
  • Excuse absences due to pregnancy or childbirth for as long as your doctor says it is necessary.
  • Allow you to return to the same academic and extracurricular status as before your medical leave began, which should include giving you the opportunity to make up any work missed while you were out.
  • Ensure that teachers understand the Title IX requirements related to excused absences/medical leave. Your teacher may not refuse to allow you to submit work after a deadline you missed because of pregnancy or childbirth. If your teacher’s grading is based in part on class participation or attendance and you missed class because of pregnancy or childbirth, you should be allowed to make up the participation or attendance credits you didn’t have the chance to earn.
  • Provide pregnant students with the same special services it provides to students with temporary medical conditions. This includes homebound instruction/at-home tutoring/independent study.
  • Protect you from harassment based on sex, including harassment because of pregnancy or related conditions. Comments that could constitute prohibited harassment include making sexual comments or jokes about your pregnancy, calling you sexually charged names, spreading rumors about your sexual activity, and making sexual propositions or gestures, if the comments are sufficiently serious that it interferes with your ability to benefit from or participate in your school’s program.
Policies and Procedures
  • Have and distribute a policy against sex discrimination. It is recommended that the policy make clear that prohibited sex discrimination covers discrimination against pregnant and parenting students.
  • Adopt and publish grievance procedures for students to file complaints of sex discrimination, including discrimination related to pregnancy or parental status.
  • Identify at least one employee in the school or school district to carry out its responsibilities under Title IX and notify all students and employees of the name, title, and contact information of its Title IX Coordinator. These responsibilities include overseeing complaints of discrimination against pregnant and parenting students.
Helpful Tips for Pregnant and Parenting Students
  • Ask us for help—meet with our Title IX Coordinator or counselor regarding what we can do to support you in continuing your education.
  • Keep notes about your pregnancy-related absences, any instances of harassment and your interactions with school officials about your pregnancy, and immediately report problems to our office, Title IX Coordinator, counselor, or other staff.
  • If you feel you are being discriminating against because you are pregnant or parenting you may file a report or a complaint:
    • Using our Title IX & DHR report form:
    • With the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR), even if you have not filed a complaint with Humboldt. If you file with OCR, make sure you do so within 180 days of when the discrimination took place.
    • In court, even if you have not filed a complaint with Cal Poly Humboldt or with OCR.
  • Contact OCR if you have any questions.

The Academic and Career Advising Center (ACAC) helps students connect their campus experience to future careers all while guiding them through timely degree completion.

Basic Needs lists campus and community resources to help Humboldt students meet their basic needs. Learn about food, housing, mental health, and child care resources.

The Centers for Academic Excellence (CAE’s) are culturally-based support programs designed to provide Humboldt students with networks that blend cultural, community and faculty engagement with structured mentoring – to assist students in reaching their academic and career goals.

The Learning Center aims to improve student academic performance and help students progress to degree through skill development, tutoring, and structured collaborative learning.

The Library provides the information, collections, and services that are necessary to support the instructional programs, research, and outreach services of Cal Poly Humboldt. Technology, research help, textbooks on reserve

Social Justice, Equity, and Inclusion Center (formerly known as the MCC, or Multicultural Center) is a dynamic and inclusive learning community that supports students in their academic and personal journeys at Humboldt. They do this by creating community, a home away from home and a safe place to Explore, Experience, Express, Empower and Engage.

Womxn’s Resource Center (WRC) aims to provide the tools, support and safe spaces for empowerment and for people to dismantle systems of power, privilege and oppression.

The Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC) provides students with additional and more specific information in support of their academic success. You will find information regarding services, policies, and other important information on their website.

NCAA’s Pregnant and Parenting Student-Athletes: Resources and Model Policy provides an outline of protections and accommodations under the section entitled “Federal Protection Against Pregnancy Discrimination”.

Some protections include:

  • You cannot be harassed or discriminated against.
  • You cannot be kicked off your team to pregnancy or parental status.
  • You cannot lose your athletic scholarship due to pregnancy (if you choose to remain on the team).
  • You may be allowed a red shirt season and granted a hardship waiver (which allows for an extra season of competition in your sport).

It is recommended that you review Humboldt Jack's Student Athlete Handbook for school-specific policies regarding pregnancy.

More detailed questions from student-athletes can be directed to David Hickcox (Title IX) or Cooper Jones (Athletics).

Student Business Services (SBS) room 253: The room has a deadbolt that the user can lock for privacy, along with an electrical outlet, comfortable padded armchair, and waist level countertop. To use it, you should make a reservation ahead of time to the extent possible by submitting a request through 25Live.

Library 205B: This space has a restroom nearby and has a door that locks from the inside. It is single occupancy and has an electrical outlet as well as a chair. To utilize this space, please visit the Library's circulation desk for availability and more details.

If you need a space and are unable to use these for any other reason, email Rob Keever at; she can assist you in finding a space to meet your needs.

There are several school districts in Humboldt County, along with Charter Schools, Court and Community Schools, and the Glen Paul School and all associated contact information.

Changing Tides Family Services is a resource and referral agency. They provide free services to parents, child care providers, and the community related to information and referrals for accessing child care, among other things.

Humboldt Children’s Center provides affordable high-quality child care and early education programs in support of Humboldt students, staff & faculty families.

Northcoast Children’s Services is a child development program for low-income families. Each Early Head Start program is responsible for determining its own eligibility criteria. Family income is one key factor in determining eligibility.

Pregnancy Care Center of the North Coast
This group offers free maternity clothing, baby clothes and other items that are donated. Medical services are available through J. Rophe Medical. Located at 2390 Myrtle Ave in Eureka. Visit their website or call for hours.

This group has baby and children’s clothing, shoes, toys, books and accessories store, offers trade.

This list contains various community resources for aid in things like transportation, childcare, legal services, housing, employment, and more. It was developed and is maintained by Oh SNAP!

This document contains Humboldt County resources.

To qualify, you must have at least one dependent child who is currently under the age of 18 for which you will provide more than half of their financial support. If you meet the above criteria, log into your myHumboldt, open Student Center, and select ‘My Personal Information’ and ‘Dependents’ from the drop down menu. To add dependents to your Student Center, follow these instructions. You will then be asked to provide your youngest dependent(s) date of birth. The above process must be completed by Friday, October 13 in order to receive early registration for the Spring 2024 semester. If you miss this deadline, you can still submit your self-certification so you can receive early registration for the next available term.

BenefitsCAL - CalFresh, CalWORKS, and Medi-Cal


One application; three programs. You can apply for food, cash, and health care with a single application. It takes an average of 30-minutes to complete an application. Plus, you can start and save an application if you need more time.


Earned Income Tax Credits (EITC) are tax credits for working people who have earned a low to moderate income. You may be eligible to receive a cash refund or reduce the amount of tax you owe.There are two EITCs: the California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC) and the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The amount of CalEITC you get depends on your income and family size.

Financial Aid Office can assist students in navigating the application process, as well as provide information on other available grants and scholarships.

Academic Competitiveness and National SMART Grants
Academic Competitiveness Grants are available to students for their first and second academic years of college. National SMART Grants are available to students for their third and fourth academic years of college.

Federal Pell Grants
Pell Grants are available to all college students who can demonstrate financial need, including single parents and pregnant individuals.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
This is another grant offered by the federal government and is needs-based.

The Pregnant Scholar provides resources for students, postdocs, faculty, administrators, and others in institutions of higher education, including colleges, community colleges, universities, and similar programs.

If you qualify for CalEITC and have a child under the age of 6, you may also qualify for a refundable tax credit of up to $1000 through the Young Child Tax Credit (YCTC)! If you qualify, you may see a reduced tax bill or a bigger refund.

Oh SNAP! Student Food Programs is a student-driven initiative. Their mission is to increase access to nutritious and culturally appropriate food for all Cal Poly Humboldt (Humboldt) students by engaging in campus and community partnerships and by raising awareness of food insecurity among our peers.

Here are additional food resources in our local area. This list was developed and is maintained by Oh SNAP!


Women, Infants and Children (WIC) 


The Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Supplemental Nutrition Program is for income-eligible pregnant, breastfeeding, postpartum women, and children under the age of 5 who have a nutritional need. WIC is a federally funded program, administered by the California Department of Public Health. WIC services include nutrition and health information, monthly food benefits for healthy foods, breastfeeding support, and referrals to healthcare and other community resources.


Who is eligible for WIC:


  • Infants
  • Children under 5
  • Pregnant Women
  • Postpartum Women up to 1 year


Newly pregnant individuals, many working families, including military and migrant families, are eligible for WIC. Dads, foster parents, and guardians caring for children under the age of 5 are encouraged to apply! U.S. citizenship is not a requirement for receiving WIC.


Eureka WIC Clinic
317 2nd St. Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 445-6255


McKinleyville WIC Clinic 
The Center at McKinleyville, 1615 Heartwood Drive McKinleyville, CA 95519
(707) 839-1173


Here is a list of medical and health-related resources within our community developed and maintained by Oh SNAP!

Oh! Sure

On campus, this is a collection of services that helps Humboldt students sign up for insurance, answer questions about Medical, FamilyPACT and other public insurance plans, and support students in finding one online, low or no-cost tele-health services in an area where community resources are limited. Located within the Oh Snap Pantry in the Recreation and Wellness Center, room 122.

Student Health and Wellbeing Services (SHWS), a fully accredited clinic, consists of Medical Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, and Health Education. Together, the Student Health and Wellbeing Services team is dedicated to helping students overcome health barriers to academic success.


Humboldt Open Door Clinic
770 10th Street
Arcata, CA 95521
Phone: (707) 826-8610

2200 Tydd Street
Eureka, CA 95501
Phone: (707) 441-1624
Pediatrics: (707) 269-7057

644 Central Avenue
McKinleyville, CA 95519
Phone: (707) 839-3068

Open Door Women's Health Center
3798 Janes Rd, Suite #5
Arcata, CA 95521
Phone: (707) 825-7588

North Country Prenatal Services
Mad River Community Hospital
3800 Janes Road, Suite 101|
Arcata, CA 95521
Phone: (707) 822-1385

Planned Parenthood
3225 Timber Fall Court, Suite B
Eureka, CA 95503
Phone: (707)442-1000

United Indian Health Services (UIHS)
1600 Weeot Way
Arcata, CA 95521
Phone: (707) 825-5000

This is a public health insurance program which provides needed health care services for low-income individuals including families with children, seniors, persons with disabilities, foster care, pregnant women, and low-income people with specific diseases such as tuberculosis, breast cancer, or HIV/AIDS.

Chant'e Catt, the Off-Campus Housing Coordinator, can help you with off-campus housing questions and resources.

Humboldt Domestic Violence Services offers emergency shelter. If you are in need of emergency shelter, please call their Support Line at (707) 443-6042 to schedule your intake and ask their advocates for more information. An intake is required in order to access their emergency services.

Humboldt County Housing has a few different affordable housing services, such as Section 8, CalHFA, and the USDA Rural Development programs. More information on these and other programs is available at their website.

The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program provides grant funds to states and territories to provide families with financial assistance and related support services. State-administered programs may include childcare assistance, job preparation, and work assistance.

HUD has several different rental assistance programs and information about renting.

Mother 2 Mother Support Circle

Star Siegfried, RN, IBCLC Breastfeeding support, infant weight checks, sharing and support. Free and all are welcome.
Every Tuesday 10am-12pm ~ 317 Third St., Eureka

Parents’ Circle
For caregivers of infants and pregnant women to share resources, form connections and socialize. Breastfeeding support. 
Facebook at “Parents Circle * McKinleyville”
Wednesdays 10-11:30am Free and all are welcome.
McKinleyville FRC, 1450 Hiller Road, McKinleyville

Ohana Mamas
Baby weight checks and group support
Tessa Stone, CNM, IBCLC & Sommer Halligan, LM
Fridays 10:30am-12pm 442-0400
With Open Arms in the Ohana Room 
2324 Harrison Ave, Eureka

Del Norte County Breastfeeding Coalition
Breastfeeding support group by an IBCLC.
Every Thursday 4pm-5pm
FRC of the Redwoods, 494 Pacific Ave, Crescent City

Circle of Moms
Pregnant and new mothers support group
Lactation support provided by WIC. Weight Check 
FRC of the Redwoods, 494 Pacific Ave, Crescent City

Prenatal Yoga (Free)
With Kate Maguire, General Hospital, Eureka (Burre Room, top floor), every Friday 1-2:30 pm.

Postnatal Yoga (Free)
“Mommy & Me,” General Hospital, Eureka (Burre Room, top floor), every Friday 12-1 pm.

211 offers a weekly MotherWoman Support group at the Jefferson Center which is currently not being held related to COVID-19 precautions. Local Midwife, Laura Doyle, and Bobbie Spurlock, ASW will be co-leading this online group for 211 via ZOOM on Monday and Friday 9:30-11:30am!
You will need to download zoom on your computer or iphone. Mothers can also join the Facebook Group “Humboldt Motherhood Rising”
Please dial 2-1-1 for more information. 
Join URL:
Meeting ID: 707-204-2772

Postpartum Support
This group addresses postpartum, breastfeeding or infant care concerns. Fridays 12pm-1:15pm, hosted by Molly Jacobs, FNP and Kit Meyer, AMFT, IBCLC. 
Join URL:
Meeting ID: 673-020-199

Breastfeeding Support 
Tuesdays Mother-to-Mother support group normally held in Old Town Eureka is also online. Tuesdays 10-12pm. E-mail Star Siegfried, RN, IBCLC at for the meeting ID. Mothers can also join the Facebook Group “Mother-to-Mother”

Pregnancy Support
Molly Jacobs, FNP and Kit Meyer, AMFT, IBCLC host an online support group for pregnant women Wednesdays from 12pm-1:15pm. This is an opportunity for connections, outreach and coping skills for anxiety during this pandemic. All are welcome.
Join URL:
Meeting ID: 804 951 940

Campus Advocate Team

Title IX & DHR Prevention Office