background 0background 1background 2background 3


Eligibility & Enrollment

Benefits Eligibility

 Eligibility Requirements for Full Benefits

  • An employee must be appointed at least half-time (equivalent to 7.5 Weighted Teaching Units for academic year appointments) for more than six months, or;
  • If employed in an R03 Lecturer or Coach Academic Year position, employee must be appointed for at least six (6) weighted teaching units (0.4 full-time equivalent) for at least one semester.

    (Qualifying appointments may be either permanent or temporary.)

An employee who does not meet the eligibility criteria above may be eligible for medical coverage or FlexCash only under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) if any of the following criteria is met:

  • Works an average of 130 hours per month based on an annual review of computed timebase or reported hours during a 12-month measurement period, or
  • Appointed with at least a .75 timebase regardless of length of appointment (duration) or initially hired to work at least 130 hours per month.

Non-Eligible Employees

Employees excluded from medical benefits include:

  • Intermittent employees
  • Student assistants
  • Graduate assistants
  • Faculty employed solely to teach summer session, extension, or intersession
  • Any employee paid from funds not controlled by the California State University or from revolving or similar funds from which a regular California State University premium payment cannot be made.

Enrolling in Benefits

Enrolling in benefits for the first time

If you are eligible for and wish to enroll in benefits, you must enroll within 60 days of employment/eligibility. Your benefits will begin the first of the month following your date of hire, as long as the Human Resources Office receives your enrollment documents by the end of the month that you were hired.  Employees who fail to enroll within the sixty (60) day timeframe will delay the effective date of medical coverage for a minimum of ninety (90) days after submitting the appropriate documents to Human Resources. Temporary Faculty who become eligible in the fall semester will begin benefits on the first of October, as long as all enrollment documents are submitted by the end of September. 

Example: Your date of hire was on March 2nd. If you submit your elections to Human Resources Benefits by March 30th, your enrollment in medical, dental, and vision plans will be effective April 1st.

New Hires/Newly Eligible – How to Enroll

  1. You will need to have a signed eBenefits Self-Service Electronic Signature Authorization Form on file. Carefully review plan summaries, rate comparisons, and other vital information regarding your health plan options.  Contact the Human Resources Office at 707-826-3626 for more information or if you have any questions.
  2. Please wait until you receive a benefits email from Human Resources before logging in to enroll.  Once you have decided on your choice of medical and dental plans, to receive FlexCash, and/or to participate in a Health Care/Dependent Care Reimbursement Account and are ready to enroll, navigate to your MyHumboldt portal, login to PeopleSoft, and select the "Benefits Enrollment" link in the Self Service section. 

    Please note: if any of your dependents do not have a social security number, you will need to make your enrollment selections via a physical benefits enrollment worksheet as the electronic system will not let you finish your enrollment without a social security number.  We apologize for the inconvenience. 
  3. Follow the prompts on screen or follow along with the Step-By-Step eBenefits Reference Guide to make your plan selections, add dependents, and submit your enrollment.  Enrollments will typically be finalized within 3 business days of receiving your enrollments and any supporting documentation required (below), however, during high volume periods we may take a little longer to finalize enrollments.  You will receive a confirmation once your enrollment has been processed.

Enrolling Dependents and Supporting Documentation

If you will be enrolling any eligible dependents, you will need to have the following information ready to complete the electronic portion of the enrollment process:

  • Their full, legal name (as it appears on their social security card)
  • Their date of birth
  • Their Social Security Number
  • Marriage certificate/Declaration of Domestic Partnership
  • Birth certificates for each child

The following physical document(s) are required for each dependent and must be submitted to Human Resources before their coverage can take effect:

  • CHILDREN (eligible through the month of their 26th birthday)
    • a copy of each child’s birth certificate or adoption certificate naming the employee, spouse, or domestic partner as the parent of the child, OR
    • A copy of the court order naming the employee, spouse, or domestic partner as the legal guardian of the child.
    • Adult children over the age of 26 who are disabled may have continued eligibility and will require additional CalPERS forms/certification.  Please contact Human Resources for further instruction  
    • a copy of your Marriage Certificate.
    • a copy of the approved Declaration of Domestic Partnership that you received from the California Secretary of State.  Please note that adding a domestic partner may have additional tax implications.

Qualifying Life Events

 You can make changes to your benefit enrollments after certain qualifying life events, such as marriage, birth/adoption of a child, gain/loss of coverage, or divorce.  Please contact us if you have a situation that you believe may enable you to make changes to your enrollment.  You will need to submit a hard copy benefits enrollment worksheet with wet signature and supporting documentation (as listed above) to make changes outside of the open enrollment period.