background 0background 1background 2background 3


Just for Credential Students

The first step to receiving financial aid from Cal Poly Humboldt is filling out a Financial Aid Application every year you are interested in receiving financial assistance. Credential students are considered 5th year undergraduates, not graduates for Financial Aid purposes. Students under the age of 24 may be required to provide parent information on their aid application.

Credential aid is limited for those already holding a bachelor's degree. In addition to Federal Direct Loans, credential students may be eligible for a State University GrantCal Grant, or Middle Class Scholarship (MCS), Golden State Teacher Grant (GSTG), TEACH GrantPell Grant, Parent PLUS Loan (Dependent Credential Students Only), and Humboldt Scholarships.

Pell Grant: You must be pursuing your initial teaching credential in order to be eligible to receive a Pell Grant. Your credential program MUST either be in a blended undergraduate/credential pathway OR a stand-alone credential that does NOT have a blended pathway option. Student enrolled in a credential program only which is offered in a blended pathway program are NOT eligible for Credential Pell Grant. Eligibility for the Pell Grant is limited to one year in the credential program, and is not added to a student's award package until credential coursework is confirmed in early fall. Note: Students have a lifetime Pell Grant limitation of 6 years, or 12 full-time equivalent terms. Students who have already received their lifetime maximum as an undergraduate, will not be eligible for the Pell Grant while in the credential program.

TEACH Grant: The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides grants of up to $4,000 per year, with a lifetime limit of $16,000, to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. The TEACH Grant is available to credential students and limited integrated programs. For more information, visit our page about the TEACH Grant. If, after reading all of the information provided, you are interested in receiving the TEACH Grant Program, please contact the Financial Aid Office to schedule an appointment with a Financial Aid Counselor for details on how to apply.

Cal Grant A and B recipients: Students who plan to enroll in a Teaching Credential Program (TCP) may be eligible to renew their Cal Grant award for an additional year. The additional year of payment is provided to students who are seeking an initial teaching credential and cannot be used for other graduate level courses of study. To review your Cal Grant information, go to Web Grants 4 Students. You will be required to complete a Request for Cal Grant Teaching Credential Program Benefits (G44).

State University Grant (SUG): You must be classified as a California Resident (or an AB540 eligible student) in order to be considered for the State University Grant (SUG), which is for payment of CSU tuition and is the equivalent of your yearly tuition charge.The SUG is not applied to campus based fees. This grant may be reduced or cancelled if student fees are waived or paid by another source, including Cal Grants.

Middle Class Scholarship (MCS): The Middle Class Scholarship is for undergraduates and students pursuing a teaching credential with family assets up to $191,000 and income up to $191,000, awards are based on a sliding scale according to family income; award amounts may vary by student and institution. This grant may be reduced or cancelled if student fees are waived or paid by another source, including Cal Grants or State University Grant.

Golden State Teacher Grant Program (GSTG): The Golden State Teacher Grant Program (GSTG) awards up to $20,000 to students currently enrolled in a professional preparation program approved by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) and working towards earning their preliminary teaching or pupil personnel services credential. Students must: Complete their program and obtain their credential within 3 years from the first distribution of GSTG funds. AND Commit to work at a priority school in California for 4 years within 8 years of completing their program.

Applicants must agree to all terms and conditions of the GSTG program or be required to repay the grant, more information regarding the Golden State Teacher Grant please visit Contact the Financial Aid Office to schedule an appointment with a Financial Aid Counselor for details on how to apply.

Parent PLUS Loan: This type of loan is available for eligible parents of dependent undergraduate students to help pay for education expenses not covered by other financial aid. A parent must apply separately for this loan, a credit check applies, and the max a parent is able to borrow is the difference between the student's accepted award and the cost of attendance.Repayment and deferment options are available.

More Important Information

Enrollment: Full-time enrollment for a credential student enrolled in a program is twelve (12) units, half-time enrollment is six (6) units.

Unit Cap: When students have attempted 50 or more semester units, they are generally no longer eligible to receive financial aid.

SAP: Satisfactory Academic Progress is applicable to credential students, visit our page for more information on our SAP policy

License Exam Passage Rates: Humboldt is proud to provide information regarding the excellent license examination passage rates of credential program completers for the most recent available years of 2013-14, Annual Institutional Report Cards.  This information is provided in compliance with Section 44225.8 of the California Education Code as mandated by AB 2086 and CTC Program Sponsor Alert 11-13.