background 0background 1background 2background 3


Summer Aid

Summer Session 2024 Cost Assistance Program

Continuing Cal Poly Humboldt students who are enrolled in a degree seeking program, and are working on their undergraduate coursework, will be eligible to have up to 4 units out of 6 units of summer session tuition* covered through this program. You do not have to be a financial aid recipient in order to benefit from this program.

Course fees beyond the 4 units will be assessed at the regular summer session rate of $289 per unit.   Campus Based fees for summer will be $300.

Programs & Fees NOT eligible for the Cost Assistance Program include: 

  • Campus Based Fees, Books, and Class Materials
  • Summer Study Abroad or Field Courses**
  • Master’s Programs
  • Special Session Courses (Leadership Studies)***
  • Extension Non-Credit Courses
  • Internship, directed / independent study, and field experience
  • Summer Session Fees for more than 4 units

*Summer Session Tuition is defined as Unit Fees.
**These programs will receive a limited scholarship provided by Extended Education to offset abroad costs. Financial aid eligible student may qualify for additional aid programs.
***Leadership Studies student who enroll into state-side general education courses will qualify for the Cost Assistance Program. Leadership studies courses through Extended Education do not qualify.

How will the Cost Assistance Program apply to fees?

At the time of registration, a “Cost Assistance” placeholder will automatically be applied to each student account. This payment placeholder will ensure that the Student Accounts/Cashier’s Office is calculating tuition correctly, and that up to 4 units ($1156) of tuition is covered.

The Financial Aid office will then assess each enrolled student for financial aid eligibility. During this assessment period, one of the following resources will be used to pay for the unit fees, depending on individual eligibility:

  • State University Grant
  • Cost Assistance Program

Once the correct award is packaged, the “Cost Assistance” placeholder will be replaced by the appropriate above award.

Summer PELL Grants

Federal Pell Grant Program that allows eligible students to receive additional Federal Pell Grant award for summer. To be eligible for the additional summer Pell Grant Award, the student must meet the program requirements and typically be enrolled in at least 6 units. 

The Pell Grant Award is based on a student's Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) from the FAFSA 

  • Awards will vary based on EFC
  • Awards are prorated based on units enrolled
  • Aggregate lifetime award cannot exceed 600% (6 years or 12 semesters of full-time)
  • You must have a 2023-2024 FAFSA application on file to be considered for Summer Aid

How do I know how much Summer Pell I would be eligible for? The easiest way to estimate your eligibility for summer Pell will be to first look at your Fall 2023 Pell award. If you were enrolled full-time for Fall 2023 you would have received 50% of your eligibility. Next, look at your Spring 2024 Pell award. Again, if you were enrolled full-time you would have received 50% of your eligibility. Therefore, for Summer 2024 you will be eligible for an additional Pell disbursement if you are enrolled in 6 units.

In the example below, an undergraduate student who has received 50% of their Pell Grant in Fall 2023 and 50% of their Pell Grant in Spring 2024, will have used 100% of their scheduled Pell Grant Award. If the student enrolls in Summer Session 2024, they may qualify for the additional Pell Grant Award if they meet the program eligibility requirements and are enrolled in at least 6 units.

2023-2024 Academic Year (July 1, 2023 - June 30, 2024)

*Example below shows award EFC is $0 and the student is enrolled in 6 units Summer 2024.

Semester  Fall 2023 Spring 2024Summer 2024 Total  
Enrolled Units12 units12 units6 units* 
% of Pell Used50%50%25%125%
Award Amount 

When will my summer Pell be awarded? We are unable to begin processing summer awards until June 5th.  If you are enrolled in at least 6 units and are eligible for Summer Pell, we will award it to you.

Summer Aid Recipients Must Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress

Your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is dependent upon the type and amount of aid received and your enrollment level at the time of disbursement. Your SAP status will be updated after all summer grades are posted and keep in mind that your status can affect your aid eligibility for the upcoming fall semester. Visit Maintaining Eligibility for more information.

Summer Admission

If you are admitted to Humboldt for the summer (as your first term), your aid eligibility may be limited depending on other aid you may have received in previous terms.