background 0background 1background 2background 3


Knowing Your Limits & Caps

Knowing Your Limits & Caps


Federal Aid

  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG): 150 earned units
  • Federal Work Study: 150 earned units
  • Pell Grant: 6 years (600%), or 12 full-time equivalent terms
  • Direct Loans: Aggregate maximums per grade level

State & Institutional Aid

  • Cal Grants: up to 4 full-time equivalent years
  • Humboldt Scholarships: 150 earned units
  • State University Grant: 150 earned units


Each degree program has a cap in which the student must complete their degree objective in order to be eligible to receive aid. For most undergraduate students, the Unit Cap is 180 attempted units and for most graduate students, the Unit Cap is 50 attempted units. Once you have exceed this unit cap, you are generally no longer eligible to receive any financial aid funds. 

We help keep you on track by notifying you when you have attempted 90 units (Unit Cap Warning) and when you are attempted 120 units (Impending Units Cap). Stay informed regarding your SAP status and Financial Aid Limits & Caps by reviewing the Financial Matters tab in your myHumboldt portal. You are encouraged to meet with a Financial Aid Counselor if you receive either notification in order to stay informed about your remaining aid eligibility. We are here to support you in the completion of your degree.