background 0background 1background 2background 3


Changes that Affect Your SAP

Audited Courses

Audit (AU) grades are not considered attempted coursework and are not included in completion rate determinations.

Course Repetitions

Each repeated course attempt will be included in the completion rate and maximum time-frame determinations. If you are an undergraduate student and must repeat a course for the third time, you must meet with a financial aid counselor to discuss your eligibility for financial aid. You may not be eligible for financial aid for this repeated course.

Incomplete Courses

Incomplete courses ("I" grades) are not considered as units completed and can affect your SAP status. For Financial Aid purposes, passing grades are considered to be a grade of A-D and Credit. The following are not considered passing grades: F, NC, WU, or W. Incomplete (I) grades are not included in the GPA calculation and are considered a noncompletion of attempted coursework until the grade is replaced with a permanent grade and academic progress can be re-evaluated.

Non-Completion of Courses (0 units)

Non-completion of courses may result in a Unit Deficiency/Suspension and/or result in a billing for funds that were received or disbursed to your account. 

Remedial Courses

Remedial courses are included in the quantitative unit totals.

Retro-Active Withdrawals

Retro-Active Withdrawals are petitioned through the Office of Registrar. If your petition is approved, this helps you academically, however, you are still held to the Financial Aid SAP requirement and for any debts owed for aid received during that term. 


Course withdrawal may affect your financial aid eligibility and may drop you below your satisfactory academic progress requirement. Courses that you have withdrawn from still count towards your Attempted Units, which may impact your Unit Cap. Course withdrawals (W) after the drop/add period are not included in the GPA calculation, but are considered a noncompletion of attempted coursework and are used in the completion rate calculation.

Students who have received financial aid and withdraw from the institution during the academic term or payment period, may need to return or repay some or all of the funds received, which may result in a debt owed to the institution. Financial aid recipients will be billed for any unearned financial aid and resulting unpaid university charges. Complete withdrawal from the University causes a Unit Deficiency/Suspension unless mitigating circumstances are approved. Contact the financial aid office to discuss any changes to your enrollment and especially for any questions regarding withdrawals.

A student who withdraws completely from the University or a student who drops to a lower fee category (from full-time to part-time enrollment), may be eligible for a refund or a reduction in institutional charges, e.g., registration fees, nonresident tuition, and University housing. In all cases, act quickly in applying for a refund. The University applies a fair and equitable refund policy for the return of unearned tuition and fees or other refundable portions of institutional charges, and you may direct questions to Student Financial Services.

Refer to the Office of the Registrar regarding withdrawal policies. On submission of the necessary forms, Student Financial Services and the Housing Office determine the amount of refund, if any. A complete copy of Cal Poly Humboldt's refund policies, procedures, and examples applicable to financial aid recipients is available by contacting Student Financial Services, Student and Business Services Building, Room 257. For students who received financial aid, see Treatment of Title IV Aid. Withdrawals after census require a serious and compelling, or catastrophic reason.